General Gaming Chit-Chat and Tea-Time

Loved instagib, also spent some with the Navy Seals mod.

1 Like

?

1 Like

Hadnā€™t heard of it until now. This reminds me that there are many forks and mods of Quake out there. I had high hopes for the CryEngine version of Nexuiz, but was bummed that it was getting released by THQ just as they were closing shop, so it kind of died on the vine. I might still try to ā€œobtainā€ it from other sources just to try it single-player. I should check out Warsow as well as Nexuiz Classic and Xonotic. I need to always have some good deathmatch options.

I tried a couple UTs - I donā€™t know/remember which ones - I tried to like these but had lots of little annoyances about the feel of the game engine. The physics, movement, etc. In all fairness, this was almost entirely because I was wanting it to feel and move like a Quake.

1 Like

I have a sadā€¦ I tried to save my game so I could help with dinner but I got attacked by a bear and mauled. Then I tried to nap to get better and when I woke upā€¦ bear. Again. I died of blood loss and shock before fading away into ā€œThe Long Darkā€. Iā€™d survived 146 days. Hours and weeks of playing. Seriously man. This game.

5 Likes

Yeah Bedlam looks interesting and kinda in the zone theme wise for me but the community reviews have made me shy about purchasing.

Anyone like Puzzle Games?
I got all three of the Hexcells games back in June and all are good and more than worth the price doubly so if you catch them on sale.

1 Like

I ended up buying it, 'cos it was cheap.

Had a quick playthrough on easy yesterday. I actually quite like it. Itā€™s definitely just FTL meets Mad Max. Really nice presentation.

The battle stuff isā€¦odd. Iā€™d like an opportunity to practice it though. It really isnā€™t something like XCOM, itā€™s (and I think I saw some reviews that said this) more like a game of chess. The battles are short, you need to plan them, and you will be sacrificing weak characters to keep the good ones alive. Which is why Iā€™d like a sandpit to practice in, I think.

FTL is still better, though. Although I suck at it. It creates a better narrative.

2 Likes

Free games on Steam!

Jet Set Radio
Golden Axe
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/94153

3 Likes

I have this on XBOX. Sā€™okay. For old Your Sinclair/Amiga Power fans, Stuart Campbell was the main writer for this.

1 Like

Again, no love for fans of Amstrad Action?

1 Like

1 Like

Wow, Iā€™ll be playing Golden Axe tonight for sure. For some reason it wonā€™t tell me what is in ā€œSega Classicsā€ but at $0.00 I feel it is probably worth picking up.

1 Like

I always thought (the original) Golden Axe had a great minimal gothic vibe to it. Iā€™d like to see a short, nearly dialog-free chop-em-up movie thatā€™s very faithful to it. The only feel-change Iā€™d make is Reasonable Armor for Tyris and Ax

2 Likes

With proper Harryhausen skeletons.

5 Likes

Has anyone played Transistor? I remember reading about it a while ago and it sounded intriguing. I see itā€™s available on iOS, might give it a go.

Thanks and I was reminded how much I suck at games like Golden Axe. It did give me a chance to use my xbone controller that I got for usability testing awhile ago so that was nice.

Golden Axe is one of the few games I ever finished pre save-files and without cheats. I think the Amiga version must have been very easy. I do remember the trick of trapping the little elves so you could kick them loads of times for extra potions before they ran off.

1 Like

Thatā€™s from the people who made Bastion, right?

Folks I know who loved Bastion seemed to like Transistor. I only kinda liked Bastion, the game got a bit stale for me.

Thatā€™s the badger.

I never played Bastion, though.

The Xbone controllers are really, really great. It makes me feel like a controller snob to say this, but after playing with them for a while they make the old Xb360 controllers seem flat out janky.