General Winter Holiday Thread!

Couldn’t find an exact replacement for our green finial 70s European topper. Mouth blown, hand-painted & -glittered, with 3 indents/reflectors on each ball. Mom paid like $3.50 for it at Kmart. When I see ones like it, they’re $50+. Ours is now retired - the base has been scotch taped multiple times and is V fragile. I hope to find another way to display it!

I looked and looked, and couldn’t even find a green one that made me happy.

We settled on this one:

It’s a Thomas Pacconi (late of a home shopping network) topper who cost around $30 on ebay. It’s the only reasonably priced one (comparatively typing) who made me anywhere near as happy as our old one.

5 Likes

I’ve decided if we don’t have a tree this year, I’ll flog the lot on ebay. I can’t believe how much ppl are asking for those 70s European ornaments, esp the denty-in kind.

New ornaments are expensive, and I’m esp shocked by the jump in price of the shatterproof ones! No matter how fancy they are, they’re effing plastic, and made in effing China!

3 Likes

If you like that old-timey look, these are modern LED lights that look like lights from the '60’s, right down to the foooooonts and packaging!

7 Likes

The Egyptian glass is divine! Though I quite like our tree topper and it wasn’t so expensive that a feline assassination would be too upsetting.

We found this lovely little ornament a few weeks ago

9 Likes

WOW! What a great site! Thanks so much for posting this. :smiley:

I’m also a big fan of
Noma+anim+bubble+lights
bubble lights!

and the fancy faceted-looking LED ones

esp in purple!

and blue!

7 Likes

That’s a very nice old school topper :smiley: and that macaron ornament is adorable :smiley:

6 Likes

Also, fyi…

The painter of the above has never seen a baby…

6 Likes

Video unavailable? :thinking:

1 Like

I surprised my wife and put up the Christmas village, she mumbled something about don’t you have something to do in the garage.

She does a much better job.

8 Likes

Huh! Try, try again:

4 Likes

Yay, Dr. Z!!!

3 Likes

That’s just beautiful!

3 Likes

TIL:

4 Likes

Our most valuable ornament, to us anyhow.

Santa on the plane belonged to my wife’s dad when he was a boy, we estimate about 100 years old. He only leaves the protective case for an occasional photo and the cats are not allowed in the same room with it.

It’s also the only thing we own that I would love to take to the Antiques Roadshow.

7 Likes

That is really sweet and wonderful :heart:

I thought at first the plane was covered with a coarse fabric…but close up it looks kind of like a roofing shingle?

4 Likes

It’s very course and rigid. The wing easily comes off, there are distinct cut outs for the wing to fit in. It’s like it was a kit that came unassembled and just fit together. May not have been an ornament originally.

When I started dating my wife and her dad(already in his 70s) was still alive it was always in her family tree. It’s one of those things that has always been.

3 Likes

It’s a Christmas miracle!

5 Likes

It’s sunset here - so to all who celebrate:

IMG_1304

8 Likes

There is a whole Hanukkah themed Tiny Desk Concert released today!

5 Likes