Generic 2018 U.S. Election Cycle Recycling Bin

Do you have faith in the Texas Supreme Court deciding that? Or a SCOTUS with a Trump appointee added?

9 Likes

Yeah, I know, and rightfully there should be no chance that the Texas GOP will succeed. The article doesn’t make that seem a certainty though.

6 Likes

It’s not of course… laws are made and enforced by people, with all their prejudices. [quote=“daneel, post:685, topic:91600, full:true”]
Do you have faith in the Texas Supreme Court deciding that? Or a SCOTUS with a Trump appointee added?
[/quote]

Not at all. Doesn’t change the illegality of it, though.

9 Likes

FYI:

FWIW…

7 Likes

You can just hear them saying, “Here, honey.”

7 Likes

Better than mine.

It’s a blow, but it doesn’t shut down the EPA, which has lots of internal employees, unaffected by the executive order. It only effects outside contracts, like researchers and the people that actually do the clean up work. Either way, I imagine that there are lots of people who do work for them, as well as many other government agencies, are probably putting their resumes together.

3 Likes

I’ve always thought the whole “I’m a business man and I’ll run the government like a business” shtick seemed rather nonsensical but could not really elaborate why. This does a pretty good job:

15 Likes
7 Likes

It’s the kind of thing that sounds terrific as a soundbite; if you don’t really think about the logistics of it, it sounds like a fantastic idea to average joes watching debates. “Welp, it’s broken now, and in debt. Why the hell not?”

Because China isn’t a rival corporation, and you can’t wheel-and-deal with them like you’re buying some real estate. Because your Cabinet isn’t a board of directors. Because the President isn’t a CEO who takes weekends off and spends his time feeling up secretaries (well, usually). Because the decisions you make affect real human beings, and judging your policies on the basis of ROI can actually kill people.

12 Likes

13 Likes

What’s up with Trump and National Park social media accounts?

Waiting for the US to officially be renamed the Badlands.

11 Likes

Maybe whoever runs that NPS twitter account is so used to dealing with coyotes, mountain lions, bears, or whatever that Trump’s stupid swagger just utterly fails to intimidate them.

10 Likes

So the First Amendment’s on its last legs. What’s next? Not the Second, of course. Hmm…

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law

That does not bode well.

11 Likes

This is fine.

15 Likes

OMG, the thread on this one has so many superb improvements

11 Likes

If you think everything’s looking dismal now, just wait.

14 Likes

“I hated all those French people anyway…”
"Fuck off Jesus… no,wait, great idea Jesus! "

6 Likes

23 Likes

Just to add to your list:

Because our democratic ideal is government of, by, and for the people, which is pretty much the opposite of how it’s done in corporations. I’ve heard it’s in some important document or other. That whole CEO automatically makes a good president idea can just go die in a fire.

15 Likes