Geneva, NY lawyer finds late 19th-century photo studio and Susan B. Anthony photos in a hidden attic

Originally published at: Geneva, NY lawyer finds late 19th-century photo studio and Susan B. Anthony photos in a hidden attic | Boing Boing

10 Likes

neat GIF

19 Likes

This is an incredible historical find of national significance. That has to be worth a small fortune.

If it were this, though, or the bootleggers’ house…I’d pick the whiskey instead😅

Bonus points if there are pictures of women in the tolerance movement up there, and he finds whiskey too…

12 Likes

this is cool

But did you know

“David Whitcomb, an attorney in Canandaigua, bought a building in Geneva to expand his practice…”

5 Likes

Both cities are 30 minutes from each other, both have populations around 10k, and both have had population declines the last several years running.

It is indeed curious.

3 Likes

Too bad he didn’t offer the materials to a museum or university.

5 Likes

I get it, but c’mon. something this important should be donated or at least a moderate sum instead of auction. He’s a lawyer expanding his practice. Probably not hurting for cash…

4 Likes

remolding a three-story building

How does one remold a building? Even one that has three stories (not storeys)?

ETA @garethb2 - two issues to perhaps fix in the original post? I assume you meant remodelling?

2 Likes

I purchased the estate of one, Richard Upton Pickman of Boston; and I’m excited to explore his private gallery to see what treasures I might uncover.

2 Likes

That can be easier said than done. Other than a few notable portraits there may not have been much to interest a museum.

1 Like

I’m sure the local historical society would have loved to have received a portion of the find. Wishful thinking I suppose.

2 Likes

Don’t go in the basement!!!1!!!

2 Likes

tumblr_5554a3ad771592440112937072d5390f_a3c57b29_500

3 Likes

Maybe, but for museums sometimes see it something like this:

You: it’s the holy grail!
Them: We’ve already got one.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.