Rare photo of Susan B. Anthony found in attic

Originally published at: Rare photo of Susan B. Anthony found in attic | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Such as being doomed to follow a piece of dank carpet forever, down a thread that never ends.

12 Likes

In our case, the hidden room we discovered contained some old window screens, insulation, and a lot of cobwebs. I’m pretty sure that’s about average for most old homes. But it is always nice to hear about these sorts of treasures coming to light.

11 Likes

Reboing!

10 Likes

I expected some kind Anne Frank hideout photo, then I realized it should have read “Rare photo of Susan B. Anthony, found in attic”.

3 Likes

I found an engraving of Susan B. Anthony once but it was only valued at a buck. Same deal with the portrait of Sacagawea.

4 Likes

The photo is significant in that it is the photo used as Anthony’s official photo at the Library of Congress

Hmm. The Library of Congress has an extensive photographic collection, but I’m not sure that they collect “official” portraits-- except perhaps of Librarians of Congress.

1 Like

I guess that means one of four copies of this specific photo? Because photographs weren’t exactly rare by her death in 1906 and I found 5 photos of her just on her Wikipedia page.

3 Likes

yeah, awkwardly-worded. I took it to mean that the negative was lost and this is now the fourth-known print of that particular photo.

until someone finds the negative in an attic and starts printing 'em for fifty bucks a pop.

2 Likes

Hold on a minute - that’s Giuliani!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.