Gentleman in extreme wildfire danger zone didn't feel like mowing his lawn, so he torched it instead

Originally published at: Gentleman in extreme wildfire danger zone didn't feel like mowing his lawn, so he torched it instead | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Gentleman is an idiot.

21 Likes

That seems to be a property of many of the gentlemen in BB headlines.

13 Likes

You know, I read this headline and all I could think was don’t be from around here… don’t be from around here… Sadly, this numbskull appears to be local. Not sure why it never crossed his mind this was a good idea. It’s not like there’s a state of emergency around here because of forest fires… oh wait.

21 Likes

Christ, what a gentleman.

23 Likes

The delicious irony is… he could have hired a service, or neighbor kid, to cut his lawn for much less than the fine he earned. Moran!

10 Likes

Yea, I mean I haven’t cut a lawn for spending money since the late 70’s. I would totally do it for under a 1000 loonies.

10 Likes

A far more dangerous place to have an open fire, not that torching your lawn in the suburbs wouldn’t cause talk.

7 Likes

Thanks! Fixed!

4 Likes

We have a “super stupid” award winner.

11 Likes

Ah, but the day is young and stupidity is a highly competitive sport.

13 Likes

Roger That!

11 Likes

Oh ****. My father used to take us on holiday in the very fire-prone coastside near Genoa, and we were petrified at the idea of summer fires. We saw a few quite close, a couple way too close, and no one was even thinking about lighting up anything at all.
I am totally baffled about such people’s mental processes.

https://effis.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

3 Likes

11 Likes

That’s what I don’t get. It’s not like it’s easy to forget we’re in fire season. I drove through for 8 hours through the mountains late last week and the smoke was so thick I couldn’t really see them. Even up on the sunshine coast, you know it’s fire season.

But for some reason, people seem to turn their brains off when it comes to fires and feel, I don’t know, almost entitled to the stuff. During a recent very bad year (I think it was 2017) conservation officers were having guns pulled on them when asked people to put out their fires.

3 Likes

Dear Canada,

Apologies that we’ve apparently exported extreme stupidity in the name of individualism.

I’m very sorry and I’d do something if I could, but I’m still not even sure what to do about it here.

Sincerely,
An American

6 Likes

Re the image posted further above of an Earth that says it hates humans… well, I expect that’s why it is trying to kill us off. It seems very reasonable of it, TBH.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.