Gentleman kicks elevator door open, falls down shaft

The sense I got with that one guy is that he knew the kicker/faller/victim and the shock we see on his face is “OMG my friend is dead”. Really, when you think about it, people being stupid is normal; people being that stupid and then LIVING is the Man Bites Dog part of the story.

4 Likes

I’m fairly sure that’s footage of a man commiting suicide.

1 Like

If you’re used to government safety regulations, a lot of countries in the world will surprise you.

2 Likes

John looked up…elevator!

Sometimes the gene pool can get a bit of chlorine.

2 Likes

Apparently New Zealand doesn’t even believe in handrails.

6 Likes

Nah, the guy in the scooter survived if i recall the article about it correctly. Plus the elevator he was trying to take went down so he didn’t have too far of a drop… think it was at a Korean mall or something.

My brother-in-law told me about some kind of lift in Germany, like a cross between an elevator and an escalator. Or like a Ferris wheel. One would step onto a platform to go up; in a moment another platform would follow behind it and then another etc.

He asked a local, “what happens if you go all the way to the top and don’t get out?” They admitted they hadn’t thought about it, because the chances of someone being that much of an idiot were unrealistic and presumably beyond consideration.

He was tempted to find out, but did not…

3 Likes

Sorry, no.

2 Likes

they are excellent devices and even if the EU the German government tried to outlaw them they are still running

seriously? the local was stupid and boring. nothing happens, the cabins are NOT rotated up-side down (much to my disagreement when I tried it)

6 Likes

just pop up to Lynn and Saugus for a bit… those last vestiges of ‘wtf’ can be taken care of closer to home.

4 Likes

8 Likes

I know why. Because you’re the observer?

Florida is the Russia of the US.

1 Like

I think he was expecting something like this would happen:

“In 1989, the paternoster in Newcastle University’s Claremont Tower was taken out of service after a passenger, attempting to ride the lift as it transitioned from upward to downward travel, became caught in the drive chain.”

4 Likes

Somebody didn’t get the Darwin’s memo that cautioned against touching the moving parts.

That kick was spectacular. What happened afterward, not so much…

1 Like

I once worked on a TV movie wherein a large AI supercomputer was given control over an entire city’s infrastructure (traffic lights, elevators, sprinkler systems, anything automated). At some point in the story, a disgruntled scientist uploads her consciousness into the AI mainframe and “becomes” the computer. (Sound like it was made in 1997? It was.) Anyhoo, at some point a judge makes a ruling that turns out to be unpopular with the newly awakened formerly-human AI, so the AI opens an elevator door behind the judge when the elevator wasn’t there, and hearing the telltale ding, the judge steps backward into the open shaft and plummets to a satisfying splat.

I thought it was kind of a dumb idea since I assumed that everyone knew how modern elevator doors worked; that a strong spring holds them shut and there is no automated mechanism by which they can open themselves except for the elevator car’s inner doors themselves. Still, the gag stayed in the movie, and the vast majority of the audience probably thought it was a perfectly cromulent plot point.

Oh, well.

5 Likes

I’ve seen some variation of that scene - the ding, the opening door, the empty shaft - a number of times in television shows and movies (especially in movies - yes, movies - about killer elevators). It bugs me to some degree every time I see it, but clearly it’s not common knowledge or this scene wouldn’t show up so often.

1 Like