Gentleman kicks elevator door open, falls down shaft

Maybe you overestimate what everyone knows.

I’m always vaguely bemused when faced with this little gem of Brazilian legislature:

“Warning to the passengers: before entering the elevator verify if it’s currently stopped in this level.”

It always struck me as a shining triumph of cover-our-assedness corporate culture over humanity.

Maybe if elevator doors have actually been opening to empty shafts then that’s what the lawmakers should be focusing on fixing, not reminding people of the possibility.

And the hypothetical someone distracted enough by force of habit to step in before looking is not going to be stopped by this. Its precisely the sort of thing we glance at exactly once when it’s new to us and then learn to ignore completely by our mental adblocks.

And, of course, if Brazilian elevators are not particularly prone to Maximum Overdriving people to death, as they shouldn’t be in the first place, this is just spreading ignorance. It’s only obligatory by state law in São Paulo, but you see it all over the country. Just in case, I guess.

2 Likes

And well deserved.

This was the funniest, IMHO. I wish there was video for it.

3 Likes

Ain’t that the truth.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.