Gentleman may be the angriest guitar player of all time

I really hope you’re not buying the ridiculous title of this video (in fairness to the player, it probably wasn’t him that named it).

With all due respect, this guy is not even ‘Expert’ level; moderately ‘Advanced’, I’d call it.

Looks like there’s a bit more, the clip embedded for the article is just someone who reposts other folks’ original content to get views.

The guy in the video is the Treeman:

1 Like

Maybe try the harp.

I can relate.

I’ve been that guy. Sitting there practicing, trying to get past the one bit that keeps biting you in the ass. Flubbing the same note or phrase over and over again. And there’s nothing you can do to will your fingers into the right place at the right time. A dozen times, two dozen… you back up a few measures and get a good head of steam, it looks like you’re about to clear the hurdle. You finally get the phrasing right after 20+ times down that road, and then immediately bungle the next phrase.

Non-musicians do not understand nor react well to someone coming to a tumbling halt in a piece, blasting out a few seconds of discordant nonsense, screaming “Fuck this shit!” at the top of their voice, and stomping out of the room. But every musician’s done it.

2 Likes

I’ve found that the best thing to do if I make this sort of mistake is to stop, slow it right down, get it right and then build up speed again, because the more times I repeat the mistake the harder it is to unlearn it. Just my experience.

4 Likes

To play.

To me it looks as if the man has a physical problem and he’s frustrated by his inability to control his fingers in a normal way and maybe back in the day it came naturally to him or he has Altzeimer’s. I found it sad.

3 Likes

I like the part where he demonstrates why you shouldn’t wear shoes indoors.

‘I’ve found that the best thing to do if I make this sort of mistake is to stop’… and go practice somthing else for a few hours.

But sometimes you’ve got to learn that piece, at speed. Because you’re supposed to be performing it live in two days. And yes, there are times when it’s best to step away, go play something else for a few minutes just to get some confidence back, and then start over.

The “missed it by that much” mistakes are the worst, though. They pull you in for just “one more go”, because you almost got it last time.

Fuck, I get like that peeling onions.

Onions are goddamn fiddly.

watch from 1 minute 10 seconds in for an expression of true pain.

No I wasn’t! The whole thing was bizarre and hysterical, but spoke volumes about the venue and source.

Yeah, sorry, I probably should’ve presumed that in the first place.

In my defense, I was still reeling both from watching the vid and from reading the comments, where quite a few people actually did believe it. I was shocked.

Yep. I don’t know what to say about the guy’s introduction other than that I was mildy disgusted.

Thanks for sharing such a strange piece.

1 Like

Somebody send this guy one of those Esteban video courses!

It was like hiking through the YouTube portals, and chancing on a jaw-droppingly rarely seen specimen.

A triumph of confidence over capability.

Am I the only one who thinks this could be the symptom of a medical condition along the lines of Tourette Syndrome?

Let me take a guess, he is single?