Gentleman needs $10K after breaking both legs filming YouTube stunt

Double shaka!!

He’ll be a tony armer after pushing his new wheels around for a while!

Maybe his next career can be as an insurance prop.

1 Like

“Look at the kind of idiots we don’t want to encourage, here’s a link to his a few of his videos.”

5 Likes

Huh? I don’t understand. He jumped two stories on to concrete and broke his legs?

I can’t imagine that going wrong.

What a freak accident.

4 Likes

I don’t think he jumped in Morro Bay (where there aren’t any cliffs). I think he jumped off of a point called El Moro in Crystal Cove (Orange County). Not to be pedantic! It’s illegal to climb Morro Rock (in MB), so he would for sure be arrested if he had done that.

1 Like

Here’s my plan. I’ll donate to his recovery plan out of compassion and my tenacious Christianity convincing me that every human being deserves to be healthy, even the idiots. In my donation (which will need to be fairly high to get his attention), I’ll tell him to make YouTube videos about stunt safety, about healthcare (and why people need insurance), about the foolish decisions seeking fame will make you do.

Live, and be a cautionary tale!

4 Likes

I don’t know what’s worse – the injuries, or the terrible production values of these videos.

Either way this guy is a choad.

2 Likes

Good luck in showbiz; break a leg!

5 Likes

well if he got 3.5mil Youtube views for breaking them, that’s like a hundred bucks towards his medical bills right there already.

3 Likes

I wonder what the insurance deals were for “Jackass”?

Insurance Dude: What’s the idea for your show?

Knoxville and/or Producers: We clobber each other in the nuts with sledgehammers, get dropped into a pit of Komodo Dragons, stuff like that. They love it on YouTube.

Insurance Dude: (presses intercom button for secretary): James, cancel my 2, 3 and 4 o’clocks for today.

4 Likes

*Throws $10 in the pot.*

It’s right in the coverage description. And you’re right, all “extreme” sports are excluded, always! So if you break your leg skiing, just say you slipped on an icy sidewalk or something.

So if someone in the US ended up with injuries like this through no fault of their own, but couldn’t afford the healthcare, what then? Would they just have crawl around for the rest of their days?

Pull themselves up by their bootstraps and fulfill the American Dream! Who needs insurance if he is a millionaire!

3 Likes

Well, I suppose they can use the money that they no longer need to spend on bootstraps. Or boots, or indeed anything below the knee.

1 Like

The fantastic thing is that with the Republicans back in government we’ll get to find out!

2 Likes

I think people are conflating life insurance (or other specialized and optional types of insurance like travel insurance) with health insurance. I’ve never seen anything in any of my health plans that said they won’t cover medical bills (beyond copayments and deductibles) that result from risky behavior. Even smoking or drinking aren’t considered.

So I still suspect this fool decided to do these stunts without any safety net, including health insurance.

Edit: perhaps I’m being naive and the reality is that these sort of claims are routinely denied via some legal mechanism that’s not made obvious in their handbook but it’s just not something I hear about.

They would get emergency care at the ER, bills they could never pay which would follow them around destroying their fiscal life, and eventually have to remove the casts (and possibly all the external metal stuff) themselves.

1 Like

Hospitals in the US still abide by the Hippocratic Oath, in that they will treat you regardless of your monetary situation, generally. But without insurance, they’d be responsible for the insanely jacked up prices that hospitals charge which are typically reimbursed to them by insurance agencies, so an injury like this will easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

1 Like

In reality this is not the case. A friend is fire rescue and has their indigent patients turned away from many local hospitals. I should ask which ways are used, but ways certainly exist.

One (nearby my old apartment, which led to some interesting neighbors) hospital made it an explicit point to never turn away patients for any reason and it got his undying respect and devotion.

In addition, Oath is optional and sadly not ethically or legally binding.

4 Likes

No, but the EMTALA is.

1 Like