Gentleman, possibly a burglar, gets trapped inside a cell phone store

You mean a Star Wars Trash Compactor?

10 Likes

Iā€™ve been locked in overnight at my retail job and if I had to I could get out (I mean what if the place was on fire!). Yeah doors locked from the outside but from inside you could just push them open setting off the alarm. Maybe no jury would sympathize with a robber but from a technical standpoint this may very well be some sort of deathtrap violation.

3 Likes

Those doors with crash bars are no joke, they save lives.

The new grocery store up the road has a must-remain-open fire door at the far end of the store. They kept locking it, so people couldnā€™t get out that way and I complained.

Well it kept on happening, so I called the local FD. For some reason, I havenā€™t found that door locked since.

5 Likes

There is rain or something like it falling in front of the camera - the space heā€™s trapped in doesnā€™t seem to have a roof.
Iā€™d wager thatā€™s not a room so much as a tiny backyard. Technically, heā€™s probably not even in a building, so heā€™s locked himself out rather than being locked in.
Wich might mean that fire codes donā€™t apply. Surely the door leading outside is allowed to be a locked one-way door, even if the ā€œoutsideā€ in this case is just a space between spaces.

2 Likes

I thought the question was going to be how we can macgyver a way out of that room given whatā€™s available. Although we donā€™t know what that adjacent room contains.

That would be the going topic if there had been more info about the environs.

Personally, I want to know what he found when he climbed up on that crash bar on the far door. Up, dammit! Look up!

I dunno. A small quantity of some kind of azide would have helped considerably, but azides tend not to travel well. You could page a certain user with a blue horse as his avatar if you really want to get deep.

2 Likes

Not really, unless you count dubious interpretations of the Human Rights Act becoming case law.

1 Like

I canā€™t tell if youā€™re playing devilā€™s advocate, or actually think the owner was morally in the wrong.

1 Like

Heā€™s not morally in the wrong but he probably is legally in the wrong. False imprisonment, because what if there had been a fire? Of course, charges are at the DAā€™s discretion.

1 Like

Itā€™s not kidnapping. If they guy had an ounce of sense, he could very easily have avoided the whole situation by propping the door.

The fucking Watergate burglars were smarter than him. He got what was coming to him. Thereā€™s such a thing as a citizenā€™s arrest. If itā€™s not kidnapping to perform a citizenā€™s arrest, why would this be illegal?

California penal code Section 837 is relevant to citizenā€™s arrest:

837. A private person may arrest another:
  • For a public offense committed or attempted in his/her presence.
  • When the person arrested has committed a felony, although not in his presence.
  • When a felony has been in fact committed, and he or she has reasonable cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.

I think this situation fits the bill for a citizenā€™s arrest. The guy was breaking and entering. He comitted a felony, there is reasonable cause to suspect that they were there to burgle the place, therefore a citizenā€™s arrest is allowed. This doesnā€™t seem really any different. They even left out water. The guy was in basically no risk other than the risk he put himself in.

3 Likes

Heā€™d probably say something like:

ā€œThereā€™s a hosebib right there. And a functional light switch, probably held together with screws. And a cellphone. And several buckets. He should have filled one bucket with water, gotten the light switch open, held the wires in the water to electrolyze the water with an inverted bucket over the top, then brought the bucket full of HHO to the door, rupture his phone battery so it would start overheating, place it under the inverted bucket and run away from the resulting hydrogen-oxygen explosion.ā€

8 Likes

Nailed it!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not rain; itā€™s the dust he is kicking up in his frustration.

Better call Saul!

3 Likes

ā€¦ so how did he succeed in opening that one door? That part of the film is missing. Was it perseverance or leverage?

Iā€™m conflicted too, a little. Not much. Seeing a human trapped like that reminds me of the time I used a glue trap to catch a mouse. I came home days later to fins a just barely alive creature that had obviously gone through something a little like this. (Never again, itā€™s instant kill traps from then on for me, and my mice!)

2 Likes

Just in case you ever find yourself with a mouse in a glue trap again: I websearched and found that putting vegetable oil on the mouse allows it to free itself. Came in mighty handy after I trapped a mouse and wanted to let it go. Worked like a charm, mouse was fine (though it had only been in the trap for a few minutes).

3 Likes

Personally, Iā€™m aā€¦ well I was going to say fan, but really what I mean is, I prefer the electric mousetraps that cook them in about a second. If they touch it they will be dead before they even know whatā€™s happening. Less chance of torture than glue traps, less chance of screwups like the spring traps (if you donā€™t bait a spring trap correctly, youā€™ll end up with either an ineffective trap, or a dead mouse that suffocated from its nose being caught, instead of its neck being broken.)

1 Like

Bugs flying around the cameraā€™s infrared lights.

Given the way castle laws are written around here, I would say he got off lucky. An alternative is getting blown away on sight. Kidnapping charges seem pretty unlikely to stick given the B&E going on. Especially because the only way to get trapped is to break in.

If you want to really take this up a notch you could put an ill tempered rottweiler in the second room he kicks open. Or maybe one of those sentry turrets from Aliens.

1 Like