Gentleman throws his used cups into a New York couple's yard for three years

And if not 110th, 125th for sure. :wink:

3 Likes

All I know about Upstate New York is that that’s where you get delicious steamed hams (except for Utica).

3 Likes

More of an Albany expression, really.

3 Likes

This story was better the first time it appeared on Boingx2: Old man vengefully litters for 3 years | Boing Boing

All those regions exist, and except for 9 and 10, are Upstate. I’ve never heard someone from the Southern Tier or Central dispute being part of Upstate. May by a Western Upstate thing? What parts are you from?

In Utica, they eat chicken riggies (real thing).

I’m in the Western area, the rural bit south of Buffalo. Personally it’s my theory that due to being a Great Lakes city and one end of the Erie Canal made Buffalo one of the greatest cities in the country. When industry collapsed and reduced the city to another Rust Belt city it left a lot of folks with a heavy chip on their shoulder. That chip results in a lot of resistance to being casualy grouped with other areas of the state. You could even say we have an overabundance of civic pride (even while we moan about how terrible the city is).

3 Likes

That’s fair. The canal and lake history are both rich and interesting. Resentment about not wanting to be lumped in with a different region is sort of why people identify as Upstate, so I can certainly understand that.
Eta: Have only seen this online, but if you’re in the area, especially with kids, this may be of interest.
https://canals.org/ Binghamton area has remnants of former and partly constructed canals.

2 Likes

Yeah, things like this, and painting abandoned grain silos like a 6 pack of Labatts. Y’know, just perfectly normal love for what might otherwise be considered ugly industry.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.