Gentleman tries to kidnap a woman, but she runs into a karate studio. The man then gets his ass kicked

BOW TO YOUR SENSEI!

5 Likes

Are you saying that kidnapping women isn’t a gentlemanly thing to do?

1 Like

Attempting defibrillation in the groin area might also have been called for.

5 Likes

That’s the part that astonished me. He walked in there and was like “Yeah I want to take that lady home with me so piss off”???

15 Likes

Sadly for our collective imaginings of how bad, or good rather, the instructor kicked this guy’s ass, the CNN article adds some crucial context -

The suspect also tried to assault police officers before he was arrested, WSOC reports.

Sounds like maybe the cops put the cherry on this sundae…

12 Likes

Mandatory: UHF, “Supplies!”

eta: One would expect an uptick in requested admissions to the dojo.

8 Likes

Good thing it was only karate and not Ti Kwan Leep.

6 Likes

Ah, but the original story mandated butt kicking, and not “Boot to the head!!”

4 Likes

Many years ago I was accosted by 3 young bullies after coming out of the community center where I studied martial arts. I was warmed up, nice and loose from a couple of hours of training and knew some classmates were leaving soon. The trio weren’t expecting a guy in a duster coat and hauling a gym bag to calmly stand up to them. No violence ensued apart from a shove from the ringleader as he backed off, which caused me to smile at them.
Cowards only attack when they think they have total control. One of them saw me in a lunchtime crowd a week or so later and headed away as fast as he could push through. It was quite funny because he thought I was pursuing him when I was only going for lunch. :grin:

5 Likes

You don’t need to explain, but don’t let that stop you…

9 Likes

“Your honor, my client pleads extremely stupid.”

12 Likes

I hope for his sake it wasn’t Tai Kwan Leap

3 Likes

I would tend to credit someone running a karate studio with the capacity to fend someone off without sending them to the hospital. Counting on the cops to show equal restraint is a very bad bet.

9 Likes

No problem. Sounds like he was a butt-head.

Agreed. Most martial artists I know prefer to avoid hurting someone in order to defend themselves.

Avoid, rather than check. Check, rather than hurt. Hurt, rather than maim. Maim, rather than kill. For all life is precious, nor can any be replaced. Master Kan, Kung Fu

6 Likes

This Sensei saved this lady from an aggressive, determined, would-be kidnapper. Are you joking with this? He should have been gentle with this violent criminal? Martial arts doesn’t make you magic. People fight back. No matter what your training may be, one lucky punch is all it takes to kill a person. So I hope, if you or someone you love is ever in the same situation you do not give a shit about the person attacking you and you do whatever you have to do to save yourself and / or your loved ones.

Well, very shortly he was looking at the ceiling tiles and getting a stern lecture. White belt vs. black.

2 Likes

All the martial artists I know, and I am one for many years, would not put consideration into the other person’s safety until they and their loved ones were safe. Of course they do not want to hurt someone but that choice was taken away from them the moment they were attacked. If someone is trying to do what this guy did, you get away by whatever means necessary. You do NOT worry about the kidnapper.

5 Likes

No matter how well-trained or restrained the instructor, he’s allowed to use a proportionate response to his attacker, and I’ll bet that’s exactly what he did.

He tried not to send him to the hospital when he first tossed the guy outside without fighting him.

5 Likes

Sorry my comment came across that way. I am thoroughly impressed with the sensei in this case. I was responding to a comment that the guy attacked the police when they showed up.

The fact that the attacker tried to attack police means the sensei didn’t maim the person. The attacker apparently didn’t realize that he was extremely lucky not to have been seriously injured already, and decided to take a beating from the cops.

I know in reality any violence is dangerous. If you try to stop someone even using minimal force, you can’t guarantee their safety. I’m very glad the woman had a safe place to run to and very glad that the sensei responded to the attacker.

21 Likes