Gentleman vandalized statue of Betwitched's Samantha in Salem

So the mayor tweeted this…

In between meetings, was disappointed to hear the Bewitched Samantha statute downtown was vandalized. I’m grateful to @SalemMAPolice for their quick work apprehending the individual responsible. We’ll work to get the statue cleaned, as fast as a twitch of Samantha’s nose.

Too bad the tweet didn’t also include…

And we’re going to get the man the help he so desperately needs because our community failed as a community.

15 Likes

let’s just not go there

2 Likes

Both a couple of Dicks, if you ask me.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Exactly. While I read the story expecting there was some protest or something going on, but what is really showing is a person so desperate for help he felt jail was the best option. And, sadly, this isn’t even the first time I’ve read a story like this.

11 Likes

The statue was installed in 2005 amid controversy that it trivializes the tragic 1692 witch trials leading to the hanging of 19 women with other dying in jail.

Isn’t that basically most of Salem which has turned itself into a kitschy tourist trap?

2 Likes

Samantha loves Dick.

(i’m sorry)

2 Likes

I once was bored because I was left home alone while my wife was at concert with our daughter. I sent her photos of both Darrins and several other photos of various people with similar first names while she was waiting for the concert to start, it took her a while to get the tired old joke.

But because I’ll always be a 14 year old boy it never gets old.

2 Likes

The Pol Pot bouncy house is quite the attraction

Wonder if it’s actually made of metal. I would think that would be easy to clean, but I was surprised when a local statue in iowa was broken in a storm to realize that it was a sort of painted fiberglass. Made me wonder if a lot of modern statues go that route because of cost. If that’s the case just spraying it with paint remover might cause more damage…

https://images.app.goo.gl/yRFfawrfwsQMUTmeA

That’s a good one. She’ll say aww how cute and then tell me to grow up.

1 Like

Thanksgiving?

1 Like
4 Likes

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate’s life for me.
We pillage and plunder, we rifle and loot.
Stand up me hearties, yo ho.
We kidnap and ravage and don’t give a hoot.
Stand up me hearties, yo ho.

(At least they eventually got rid of the wench auction scene in the ride, I guess)

1 Like

And Jack Sparrow did explicitly cop to the rape thing in the first movie:

“Alright, then. I confess—it is my intention to pick up a crew in Tortuga, rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasley black guts out.”

1 Like

Rape and pillage. The pillage part makes it funny somehow, didn’t you watch the video @mr_raccoon posted?

So he looked at the statue, wrinkled his nose, realised he’d become everything he’s swore to destroy, and went about rectifying the issue. Story holds up.

So I’m not going to say we shouldn’t reconsider using it, but there is an actual difference here though. Rape has an old meaning of being to carry off or take by force. This often meant what it does now, as with the rape of the Sabine women, but it doesn’t have to; related terms like rapine generally don’t.

Then English has ended up with a lot of A and B terms where the words get stuck as a pair to help clarify each other, like assault and battery or break and enter. I think that’s what the point of and pillage is in this case, to let you know that’s the type of activity meant.

What England did because of reasons

It’s still not, you know, actually innocent fun or anything…as Mitchell points out pillaging is bad enough on its own. But I mean, stealing people’s stuff is pretty much as innocent as pirates get, or else you call them “sailors”.

7 Likes

Disney is really trying hard to confuse kids on that point. Ever seen Jake and the Neverland Pirates?

Yeah, you’re technically correct but it’s difficult to be especially generous when interpreting what Jack Sparrow meant. The original version of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride (on which the movie was based) had a lot of dark stuff going on including lustful Pirates chasing terrified women, an unclothed woman hiding from a pirate in a barrel, and the explicit selling of women at the auction block to be taken as “brides.”

Getting back on topic, what was we were talking about, anyway? Oh yeah- the exploitation of the tragic Salem Witch Trials for fun and profit. Disney does that too!

2 Likes