Geophysicist arrested for beating cop at Trump riot said he was "patting him on the back"

White supremacy is not a problem of ignorance, it’s a problem of ideology.

Yes. It always was the case. It was “respectable” white people of the middle classes passing Jim crow laws and protesting integration. It was the middle class who backed the nazis and the Italian fascists. It was the middle class cheering on Japanese imperialism. It’s always the class that benefits that supports these things.

I’m glad at least more people are finally figuring this out, but it’s been there all along.

Spend more time here, because plenty of us have been regularly pushing back against this trope for literally years.

28 Likes

I didn’t want anyone out there to get overexcited. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Too late…

7 Likes

And not just one cop, but 140 were injured:

“[officers without helmets] sustained brain injuries. One officer has two cracked ribs and two smashed spinal discs. One officer is going to lose his eye and another was stabbed with a metal fence stake”

Live Updates: Biden Signs an Array of Executive Orders Focused on Climate Change - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

I’m reminded of when Michael Reinoehl claimed he’d killed, in self-defense, a “Patriot Prayer” Trump-supporting protester during one of their rampages in Portland, only for the cops to ambush him in the street and kill him before he even had a chance to surrender. He hadn’t even done anything to a cop, he was just on the “wrong” side of the ideological divide, as far as the cops were concerned.

20 Likes

A good human was lost that day, the video was disturbing of his demise, he will be missed by many.

6 Likes

My wife happens to have a PhD from Harvard in Geophysics, and I do consider her to be a smart person, but as she herself has pointed out on several occasions all a PhD means is that someone has acquired hyper specific knowledge about one subject. It doesn’t necessarily suggest a wider intelligence about the workings of the world, and certainly doesn’t confer any immunity to BS conspiracy theories, unfortunately.

34 Likes

snl yes GIF

Said another person with a phd. Sadly, plenty of others with phds believes it makes them smarter than anyone else and better than anyone else.

21 Likes

Dang, double dang! Whew, that was my x-boss to a T. That SOB is in my rear view mirror thank the Dogs! Retirement is bliss…

16 Likes

@nielsen_chris

It is interesting that you brought up deprograming. The foe here is a mighty one, with all the trappings of cultism, etc. The old tricks still work with Fascism, why would they change, humans
are drawn, for whatever the reason to this/these ideologues/ideologies. My heart felt sympathies go out to you, remember they have this Fascism schtick down pat. Good luck with your family, and stay well.

22 Likes

A bit of searching suggests that he works for an environmental consulting firm (basically a company that tells you the minimum you have to do by law to clean up a contaminated site) and is unlikely to have a doctorate, if that changes your view of him.

7 Likes

Their not showing up was a deeply considered decision and in hindsight it was the right one. There was zero room for anyone to say “there was violence on both sides.” There were too few black people to say it had anything to do with BLM, and the weak ass attempts to blame antifa have not gained any traction.

Agree, this was a law enforcement planning snafu. There shouldn’t be a next time.

10 Likes

Tossing out my comment to say instead, “what @nielsen_chris said.”

4 Likes

And in other news, the entire attempted insurrection was really just an interior decoration intervention

6 Likes

Switzerland is a bit fetishized by some groups on the right for the perceived way the country expects all men to be trained to join the militia and be issued a gun by the government. Mostly that second part and not the first, neither of which is exactly true.

18 Likes

HGTV was the real insurrectionist that day.

3 Likes

Also for being the land of wealth hoarding with no consequences.

15 Likes

You want to scare off the Qanon/Gun Ammosexuals? Bring all the branches of military recruiters to any of those so called events, those aholes will run. Open carry, just sign right here, we got lots of that and then some. They/Qanon/Gun Ammosexuals are cowards, have always been, always will be.
Fascism has a spine when the mob is around, the minute they are by themselves the bravado goes South.

11 Likes

Simply because I’m that kind of fantasy nerd:

The word “warlock”, meaning a practitioner of witchcraft, demonology, and other dark arts, derives from the Old English “Oath Breaker”.

Given the amount of Tolkien-esque high fantasy that the alt-right loves to discuss and engage with, I have no doubt that “oath breaker” as an insult comes directly from some fanbois Googling “warlock” and finding this particular nugget.

6 Likes

It was Sabol’s fault. He needs to be subducted (and fired and charged).

3 Likes

It is so beautiful, perfect, and totally cool that these criminals were so dumb they documented themselves committing crimes.

9 Likes