George Conway's biting column holds a mirror up to Trump supporters, and it ain't pretty

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/11/george-conways-biting-column.html

3 Likes

I might care what George Conway says if his wife weren’t a chief spokesperson for Trump. But as it stands, he and her run a distraction theater that sucks all the air out of the room, every time.

18 Likes

Yeah, it would be a great column if the people who need to read it most:

1. Could read
  2. Understood satire
  3. Were capable of a moment’s self-reflection
  4. Didn’t wholeheartedly agree with, and be proud of, some of the statements.
47 Likes

IKR and if they could read how many trump cultists read the WaPo?

Plenty of that…

George Conway might gain a lot of credibility if he left that witch of a wife and took care of his daughter.

15 Likes

Yep. All they care about is hurting their perceived enemies as much as possible.

8 Likes

As far as i understand, Trump supporters don’t really care that Trump is lying. All they care about is that Trump is a bully and gets what he wants done, and the big thing his supporters certainly know and care about is that they do not want Democrats or Liberals to be in power. What it boils down to is not ignorance (though still a factor), it comes down to getting what they want and Trump is the quickest and shortest way to that. They don’t care if there’s consequences because consequences also hurt the left, and i’ve said as much here when Trump was first elected.

Trump supporters would gladly set their metaphorical house on fire if it meant that their unwanted leftist neighbors also lost their house. They want come-uppeance not sensible outcomes. And for the more educated, well to-do people in his base the feature there for their loyalty and action is corruption. I’ve already lived this with Hugo Chavez.

40 Likes

I"m not sure they actually care about the getting things done part either or they’d be more upset about the “we’re building a wall and Mexico is going to pay for it” thing.

8 Likes

The wall is there despite how shoddily built it is, i’d say things are going swimmingly in their eyes.

4 Likes

Less than 100 miles of new barriers, most of which replaced existing structures. Not exactly the 2000-mile-long fortification he promised, nor anything like it.

12 Likes

I read that astute observation elsewhere the other day: For Trump’s core, making their own lives better isn’t nearly as important as ensuring that the lives of their “enemies” don’t get any better and hopefully get worse.

27 Likes

No amount of destruction of America is too great as long as the cult gets to “own the libs”.

9 Likes

I’ll admit I had to click on several of those links because I thought they were all made up… turns out they’re not [sigh]

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1wkqZIJOAQ is much the same thing, but from months ago (and funnier).

FTFY.

9 Likes

It’s hard to shame Trump supporters by simply listing all the things they actually believe in - or at least pretend to believe in, but ultimately really don’t care about because they’re just here for the fascism.

Sizable portions of which have fallen down already.

5 Likes

“I believe that Trump’s inauguration was the best attended of all time.”

5 Likes

Same as it ever was for conservative “spite voters”. From 2004:

At the other end of the economic spectrum, non-millionaires who vote Republican, the so-called “Reagan Democrats,” know that the country is not theirs. They are mere wage-slave fodder, so their only hope is to vote for someone who makes the very happiest people’s lives a little less happy. If I’m an obese 40-something white male living in Ohio or Nevada, locked into a permanent struggle with foreclosure, child support payments and outsourcing threats, then I’m going to vote for the guy who delivers a big greasy portion of misery to the Sarandon-Robbins dining room table, then brags about it on FoxNews. Even if it means hurting myself in the process.

7 Likes

I didn’t say it was built well, it’s there and that’s what they care about. Plus you think that the inhumane separation of immigrant families was accidental?

4 Likes

“While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society’s pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole that he’s in
-Bob Dylan

10 Likes

Can he be removed from office by reasons of mental instability?

From movies, and novels, I gather someone in the military can be taken out of the chain of command if a doctor has deemed him unfit. I don’t know how that translates to real life.

But can a president be judged unfit? I suppose if that can happen, it’s a fine line.