George Floyd bodycams show abusive, gun-toting cops goading him and refusing to give reason for arrest

If wishes were fishes (with human mouths).

Works here. Canadian, Netflix.ca, VPN exiting in Hogtown, Haven’t watched yet, but sounds worth the watch.

Also, and in no way a significant issue in the grand scheme, could we get a consistent way to control volume no matter what the video player.

2 Likes

Interrogation techniques. To get you to accidentally say something which indicates you might be up to no good. I’ve gotten dickish interrogation coming into Canada before as well. Demands about who I was visiting, and wanting to know who was paying me if I was going for work.

It is weird too. Coming back into the US has been slower, more lines and more of an administrative quagmire, but they weren’t dicks about it. Disembarking in other countries was more of the same, Britain even! So polite about implying you might be a would-be illegal immigrant, and they are just checking!

4 Likes

Like police culture across the country, it didn’t “get” rotten so much as it started rotten and never got better.

In Minneapolis specifically, the police were originally quite literally just a bunch of untrained, non-uniformed thugs acting as the muscle for whichever crime lord happened to occupy the mayor’s office at the time.

Now they have uniforms.

6 Likes

Frédéric Bastiat had the meta answer.

“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

…and a gang that enforces it
…and an economic system that encourages it
…and a schooling system that perpetuates it

4 Likes

Police culture is by definition rotten.

If you didn’t see it till Floyd being murdered, you’re probably too white and/or rich to have been personally inconvenienced by it.

6 Likes

I think that’s just about every immigration officer. Certainly the US ones have frequently acted like there could not possibly be a reason I might go to the US except to immigrate illegally. From Canada. It’s generally annoying and I have no idea how it could be effective, but oh well.

2 Likes

My method works pretty well; my phone is always on silent for rings, messages and videos. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m confused, if he was a police officer (“thug”), don’t you think we’d have known about it by now? I mean, I know they hate to report on cop-on-cop crime, but it would have come out…

Did a thug blue line supporter tell you this?

4 Likes

Good series, I listened to it recently. I think they specifically mention how the Minneapolis Police were originally indistinguishable from other hired thugs who would do things like acting as security for the mayor’s brothels while roughing up/arresting/extorting protection money from rival brothels.

6 Likes

BTW: if you see this one and think “so the cops tortured the people organising lynch mobs?”…no.

They tortured “confessions” from Black suspects so that lynch mobs became redundant.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.