George Lucas's hyper-specific handwritten notes about Greedo shooting first

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/05/george-lucass-hyper-specific-handwritten-notes-about-greedo-shooting-first.html

1 Like

I kinda feel sorry for George. He doesn’t realize that shooting first - among other things - was part of what made Han so bad-ass in the original movies. It’s part of why Darth Vader, who was absolutely the bad guy and who did kill with impunity - was still super popular. To be that out of touch with a core reason why someone likes your characters…

14 Likes

Exactly. I see Han Solo as somewhat like Pancho Villa. He started out as a ruthless apolitical bandit and became a idealistic revolutionary when he realized he could actually change the system.

12 Likes

It’s possible Lucas realizes that’s exactly what makes people think Han is a badass. It’s possible this was a stroke against that, based on his notes and original vision for the character. Sure, it’s not leaning into fanservice for the older fans, but aiming at that audience definitely doesn’t seem to be a focus of his.

Yet this situation was sort’ve flopped/remedied in the Han “Solo” prequel, wherein he so clearly shoots Beckett (Woody Harrelson) before the fast-draw count was complete. …?

3 Likes

This deftly addresses the important question of who shot first. If you don’t want to watch the whole thing, go to 1:44.

4 Likes

And then Beckett looks him straight in the eye and says “You were smart to shoot first, I would have killed you otherwise. In fact it would be absolutely insane for anyone to question you, an outlaw facing an armed adversary, for shooting first in defense of your own life rather than adhering to some dumb code of honor. Now go forth and be a scoundrel for the next 15 years or so.” (Dies.)

6 Likes

I am sure glad somebody is writing about Star Wars again

that underground cult film, unheralded classic, forgotten gem

6 Likes

Why isn’t it being called Greedogate?

3 Likes

Indeed, Han had the only real arc in the whole first film. Luke’s arc was more “I want to be a hero; shit, I’m a hero!”.

4 Likes

29mm9q

2 Likes

I disagree, Luke’s arc ended in Return - he goes from a young man seeking violence to soothe his restless soul, to a mature man facing down certain death to redeem the soul of his father without violence, but merely reaching out with love.

To then becoming a crazy hermit who tries to kill his students in their sleep, because he had a bad dream about them, but I digress.

1 Like

Master jedi having scary premonitions about their students turning evil, then trying to (and sometimes succeeding at) killing their padawans is a recurring theme in Star Wars.

At least in Legends material

2 Likes

Yeah, but I just meant the first movie. Although I didn’t mind Luke becoming a hermit, that seems a pretty standard course for old Jedi’s. Kylo, though, was annoying, I can totes understand wanting to kill him.

1 Like

FTFY.

…on topic, Han shot first, because that’s the only way his character makes any damn sense at all. Not that I’m surprised Lucas rationalized the change to hell and back.

2 Likes

Well put! Because Han shot first – he’s looking out for number one from the beginning – his threat to bug out before the assault on the Death Star is so much stronger. They get to Yavin and – hey, he really hasn’t grown from the experience of helping out Princess Leia and Obi-won and Luke – he’s going to go back to his old ways. Then he shows up to save the day…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.