Han and Greedo now shoot simultaneously in latest version of Star Wars: A New Hope

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/13/han-and-greedo-now-shoot-simul.html

6 Likes

chapter1

21 Likes

canon…

56 Likes

Lucasian ineffability in its purest form. The more you tighten your grip, the more its truths will slip through your fingers.

29 Likes

A cannon? But I thought that Han said, “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

17 Likes

I hear that Han favours a beer chaser, and that he always takes his shots first.

16 Likes

har har. freaking fat fingers. bah.

2 Likes

Ugh, why does han have to be the kind of reluctant hero who has enough honor to act only in self defense? He’s in deep with a galactic mob boss and knows random bounty hunters by name (plus he’s enough of a jerk they enjoy taking him in) he better damn well shoot first if he wants to live past running into the first person who knows what the pointy bits do on top of the blasters.

29 Likes

They’ve more or less shot at the same time for awhile (since the latest blu-ray version), but the timing is sliiiightly adjusted now, and… more importantly… Greedo now yells “MACLUNKEY!” for some reason.

“MACLUNKEY!” is now my favorite Star Wars quote.

17 Likes

You’re preaching to the choir. I’d wager only one person in the universe thinks it should be any different. And that person keeps changing his mind about it as well. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

That’s the only positive I can see in all this :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The door is on your left.

4 Likes

What’s up with the idea that Greedo needs to shoot first to make it self defense? Greedo was taking Han hostage at gunpoint. That’s already a deadly-force-for-self-defense situation.

34 Likes

Since they keep changing stuff, in my mind its the much cooler robot bounty hunter IG-88 who successfully captures every bounty in this universe with cold efficiency, instead of the bumbling Greedos and Boba Fetts. As a result of this, the franchise is much more manageable, if not as exciting. I’m done.

6 Likes

I was hoping someone else would know the source for that. I am so glad he’s left the site up all this time. I still go back and re-read often.

2 Likes

Just want to say that episode 1 of the new Mandalorian series fulfills all of my childhood fantasies of seeing IG-88 and Boba Fett team up and engage in actual bounty hunting action. (technically it’s a different IG unit and a Mandalorian, but still.)

9 Likes

Really? And just like that I’m back in!

6 Likes

i say YES GODDAMMIT YES!

It would be a pretty short, or far different, story if Greedo shot first.

5 Likes

I heard about the “Greedo shot first” edit for a while before I finally saw a clip - and when I did, I assumed it was a joke someone had made at home with Final Cut to make fun of how absurd the idea was. It was too amateurishly put together, so dumb looking, I just couldn’t believe it was real. Somehow the whole thing just gets sillier with time and “improvements.”

It really goes to show what a debt the Star Wars series owes to everyone who isn’t George Lucas.

10 Likes