Han and Greedo now shoot simultaneously in latest version of Star Wars: A New Hope

I’m waiting for the edit where Han and Greedo just hug it out, instead. Or maybe rock-paper-scissors.

13 Likes

Greedo get’s a really bad leg cramp, allowing Han to escape.

9 Likes

Welp, there you have it.

2 Likes

Someone needs to cut together a shot of 1977 George Lucas shooting 1997 George Lucas before he can mess up the movies.

7 Likes

And in the original cut Greedo basically tells Han he’s there to kill him right before Han shoots. Pretty much: “Over my dead body” “that’s the idea”. Boom.

16 Likes

My lord, there’s nothing I love more than when geeks discuss Star Wars. We get all the great quotes repurposed. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yep, really. And there’s one moment, one sentence, where you can tell who is playing the IG unit. Mostly it’s covered by electronic masking of the voice.

The Mandolorian had a great start.

4 Likes

#standyourgroundtatooine #youlltakemyblasterfrommycolddeadclaws

3 Likes

Leia, “Luke, as you are my brother, I thought you should be the first to hear… Me and Greedo are getting married.” Star Trek: A New Hope (Greedo Shot First Special Edition)

8 Likes

Yeah, it’s totally baffling. Like a verbal threat from a person pointing a gun at you is still a don’t-do-anything-rash situation.

Maybe there’s a big segment of the American population getting mad at Lucas over Greedo’s open carry rights? /s (not-/s, /s)

9 Likes

I had the pleasure of watching the Despecialized Version of Star Wars with a 3-year-old last week – her first ever movie! – and besides listening to how excited she was to see “Dark Vader”, it was so refreshing to see Han just shoot Greedo. It was a reminder of what a bizarre, over-edited mess that one tiny scene is now.

12 Likes

Yeah. Pointing a gun at somebody IS threatening to kill them. It IS an act of violence.

6 Likes

Or Han miss, not Greedo. (it may add a few other changes to the movie)

2 Likes

Nothing stays up forever though so I have a copy just in case.

1 Like

Or at all, given that he was supposedly a professional assassin who had a gun trained on Han from three feet away and couldn’t have possibly missed.

8 Likes

You should check out the Silver Screen Edition, it’s from a cleaned up 35mm print.

2 Likes

Nope, not buying it Mr. Lukas… The '97 version is “alternate facts”…

3 Likes

It turns out Han and Greedo are in totally separate bars, and talking on their phones. Han hangs up first.

8 Likes

Maybe Lucas wanted to soften Han Solo to put more emphasis on the true redemption arc of an utterly vile character who turns toward good and ultimately gains the respect and love of the audience.

I am, of course, talking about Jar Jar Binks who, least we forget, was facing the death penalty from his civilization when he met the Jedi. Wow. Talk about a dark past. No version of Han Solo can hold a candle to that.

5 Likes

Han didn’t shoot first.

He shot only.

6 Likes