Georgia 6th graders asked to design nazi mascot

Funny how there is an entire generation who’s parents literally fought and died to end the Nazis. And yet somehow they can’t denoubce nazism as we have seen lately.

I’m with you on how frustrating and maddening it is.

13 Likes

In fairness, Nazis were never fashionable and they never went away. They’ve just been dormant, like cancer.

8 Likes

I can’t tell if this is some shity progressive attempt to show how racist ideology can be dressed up in a way make it palatable to the public - or - if it was some shitty sympathizer ‘oh hey, it wasn’t all bad’ bent.

I wonder if it had been allowed to continue, if the teacher would have graded down for, say, a friendly, bright pile of poo.

4 Likes

Give it a name, I’m just too damn weary to argue semantics.

The point is that this normalization shit isn’t cool, and ‘tolerating’ it is not acceptable.

Somebody, holla if ya hear me…

23 Likes

… Da fuq?

3 Likes

This is awful…but I kinda want to see what each kid did for the assignment. Is that bad?

This is the only image available:

10 Likes

Well, if the assignment was “Design a mascot for ISIS!” or “Design a mascot for the Las Vegas massacre!” you’d be labeled a terrorist.

But “Design a mascot for Nazis!” is okay, because President Trump.

10 Likes

It’s obvious that this “teacher” is just trying to get his students to work up a child-friendly nazi marketing campaign. You know, to get them hating young.

Plus bonus points for using the entire class as a forced labor camp to churn out these ideas.

2 Likes

There’s a contemporary art board game with a similar theme, except it’s anti-Nazi. It’s called Train.

6 Likes

Well yes of course, I, and probably you, have grown up with representations of the American West which actually glamourised the genocide of Native Americans, the time of slavery is capable of being presented as having some kind of romantic mystique rather than being the epitome of sheer evil. In, say, France it is acceptable to write a memoir or make a film about the romantic imperial decadence of life as a pieds noirs so while it may be illegal to afford the same rose tinted glasses to the Nazis racist mass murder is, and always has been, capable of being represented in a positive light.

What seems to change is which ones are acceptable to rhapsodise. It’s disturbing that Nazism seems to be verging on acceptable in some places, being as it was the one genocidal atrocity that we in the West had seemed to get the reaction right to. Eventually. Far, far, far too late.

9 Likes

What stuns me is that we have seven decades of work from the most sophisticated and prolific media industries and academic and cultural institutions in history devoted – we’re talking conservatively billions of dollars spent, tens of millions of pages written, tens of thousands of hours of footage filmed, hundreds of millions of course-hours taught, hundreds of thousands of museum and monument square footage built, operas, plays, symphonies, rock songs, etc. – devoted to focusing on the evils of fascism in particular, and much of all that massive effort’s effect on politics is still wiped out the moment a critical mass of people born in 1929 or earlier have died. All because they can’t respond directly to someone suggesting we “give right-wing populists a chance” with an angry and authoritative:

It’s disheartening, is what I’m saying

21 Likes

Yeah.

I have no answer to that. No witty riposte. You are straight up right. This was the one. The one that we didn’t hedge with ambiguity and mealy mouthed liberal even handedness. The one we were all agreed on with no sepia toned romanticism for lederhosen and rat poison summers of some people’s youth. And we are now engaged in this genuinely horror puke inducing revival.

I can’t even.

9 Likes

Maybe the Nazi mascot should be a skeleton?

16 Likes

Smells like:

blatent attempt at normalization

2 Likes

That’s sort of interesting and all, but consider this article:

The words “Make America Great Again!!!” appear beneath a large swastika. The unknown sender refers to a Nazi board game and slogan called “Juden Raus,” meaning “Jews Out.”

I’m pretty sure that “Juden Raus” is more important as a “slogan” than as a board game. Unfortunately, the board game makes for more clickbait, so it’s dominating my google search right now.

7 Likes

Wow. We’re getting very close to a lot of broken glass from Jewish shops (and Muslim and Hispanic ones, too) in the streets of American cities, and I don’t know if it will be any less disturbing that it won’t be a one-night government-sponsored pogrom.

7 Likes

Something like this would be something I’d leave to professional satirists like Laibach’s NSK State. Asking children to do something like this, trivialities it. We shouldn’t be making Nazis ‘fun’ like some weird Japanese Anime.

3 Likes

Nazi Mascot?

OTOH - the kids nailed it.

6 Likes

Catch your new mascot from Popo! They’re called “Pinless the Grenade”! Just think of the adventures you’ll have together, making the world a better place.

Pinless

6 Likes

Trump2

8 Likes