Georgia cops pay $100K for jailing woman who said "Fuck the police"

I think @bobo agrees with the sentiment, but that the reality sucks… That’s how I feel. But in this case, I think liking is the right response?

2 Likes

Something tells me this lady isn’t going to be applying for a security clearance any time soon.

Well, I’m sure the lawyer did significantly more than a day’s work to get the settlement (which apparently hasn’t be paid yet, so…). And although the jailed woman probably wasn’t working a high-paying job, after the lawyer’s cut and paying for her defense in the criminal case, I can’t imagine it left much (not to mention she’s now saddled with an arrest record, even if the charges were eventually dismissed by the judge). I can’t help but feel that the people who really made out well in this situation were the cops who egregiously violated someone’s constitutional rights in order to assert their authority and probably faced no significant problems as a result - they accomplished what they set out to do without personal penalty.

1 Like

This I like (in both senses).

Yup. You’re entirely correct. I wish there was a way to show agreement without the implication that I “like” the reality of the comment…

2 Likes

We desperately need a new financial model for this.

Tax-funded agencies that pay out settlements or actual judgments need to feel the pain.

The individual employees who were the proximate cause of those payouts need to feel the pain.

The taxpayers whose trust was violated do NOT need to feel the pain.

I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure you’re thinking conviction, not arrest. I’ve been asked on job interviews if I’ve ever been convicted of a felony, but not if I’ve ever been arrested.

AN arrest with no conviction shouldn’t affect her ability to vote, own a firearm, or work.

1 Like

Do it. There are too many submeanings of “like”, some positive, some wry, even some mutually exclusive, and any can apply to the click.

It’s the fault of Facebook to come up with the “like” button. It’s now too deeply ingrained in the culture. All that can be done now is to let the different meanings in turn ingrow into the word “like”.

1 Like

Well, I think the word is the correct one. These “people” tend to float right up the career ladder.

2 Likes

There are plenty of cases where arrests by themselves disqualify people from things, or at least are required to be disclosed and show up on criminal records checks. Especially when applying for “sensitive” positions like teachers, law enforcement, security, etc.

http://www.shouselaw.com/conviction-job-application.html#2

2 Likes

In the UK you can get arrested for swearing when talking to a police officer, not directly insulting them, but just using the words in general conversation.

From http://www.sussex.police.uk/help-centre/ask-us/anti-social-behaviour/can-you-be-arrested-for-swearing-in-the-street

Can you be arrested for swearing in the street?
Yes you can. It is an offence to use obscene and profane language in the street because it can cause annoyance and offence to those around you.
However, a person is only likely to be arrested for this offence if the behaviour occurs when a police officer is present.

Someone was arrested in the UK for saying that a mounted policemans horse was gay.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.