Georgia Gov Signs Voting Restrictions Into Law Under Painting of Notorious Slave Plantation

In case the dog whistling was too high-pitched for some, Georgia’s Governor Kemp signed a bill that greatly restricts voting in Georgia while sitting underneath a painting of a notorious slave plantation. Kudos to Will Bunch of the Philadelphia Inquirer for his research and commentary on this:

Notice the antebellum-style portrait behind Kemp as he signs the suppression law? Thanks to Twitter crowdsourcing and particularly @TheSeaFarmer, I can report the measure to limit Black voting was signed under the image of a notorious slave plantation in Wilkes County, GA.

More in that thread. But it’s also worth noting that the bill is insane by almost any standard. Among the provisions is a prohibition on giving food or water to voters waiting in line to vote. IANL, but this cannot possibly be Constitutional, even setting aside that creating long lines in predominantly Black neighborhoods is a standard tactic for Republicans trying to make it harder for people to vote.

Sounds like it’s time to head to Georgia for the next election and start handing out food and water.

20 Likes

We all need to work to make sure this bill backfires in a major way by motivating strong progressive turnout in future elections.

If this makes you as angry as it makes me, I humbly suggest that you consider rage-donating to Stacey’s voting rights group:

18 Likes

Witnesses to the signing all look like white men to you? It was planned that way:

10 Likes

They arrested a state Rep for knocking on the door of the governors office so she could view the signing…

17 Likes

We also can’t let the glaring racism and redonkulousness of this shite keep us focused on Georgia and the supposed uniqueness of southern racism. These GA voting restrictions are just one example of similar legislative action being pushed by Republicans in a lot of states, such as:

I think it’s all another sign that Republicans are getting desperate about the ever-declining popularity of their white identity cult. But desperate measures do sometimes succeed.

22 Likes

GQP sycophants need to be voted out en mass where ever they are found. No kumbaya, no mercy, every damn one needs to be voted out without mercy. They are either racists or supportive of racists, and have no excuses at all.

20 Likes

This won’t go anywhere in Michigan, our Governor is That Woman (D).

Thank dog our election maps are supposed to get redrawn by a non-partisan commission, as required by the state constitution - a lot of the Rs in the legislature are there due to Gerrymandering.

17 Likes

Shaun The Sheep Olympics GIF by Aardman Animations

9 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

10 Likes

From

Fleming was county attorney that year when about 20% of Sparta’s voters — all Black — had their voter registrations challenged before a mayoral race. One of those was Johnny Thornton, who said he was targeted because of his plans to run for the county commission.

Every challenge to eligibility is an injustice, but the scale of this is just overwheming.

I predict a day when every vote is challenged. We’re already well past the point where the deciding factor is not what the count is, but how it is counted.

7 Likes

And who did the counting. The number of bills to strip the counting and certification process from Sec of States and nonpartisan commissions and delegate it directly to Republican dominated legislatures is terrifying.

7 Likes

Done. Thank you for the suggestion and the link.

7 Likes
15 Likes

Our good reverend senator is pushing the President to make this a priority…

13 Likes

Just the close elections?

8 Likes

19 Likes

THIS!!!
We need to get as fired up about this as we did about voting Il Douche out. Because otherwise there will be no chance of keeping the next horrible Republican candidate out. (And it could even be Il Douche again!)

11 Likes

Refresh my memory. Didn’t GA state officials declare the 2020 vote the most secure in history when pressed about voting “irregularities”?

4 Likes

The fact that they were pressed about it in the first place is proof enough that something was fishy. Never mind who was doing the pressing. Questions were asked! /s

2 Likes

Which is why Trump et al are working so hard to get him out:

8 Likes