Chilling video: Georgia Rep handcuffed for knocking on Gov. Kemp's door while he signs voter restriction bill

Originally published at: Chilling video: Georgia Rep handcuffed for knocking on Gov. Kemp's door while he signs voter restriction bill | Boing Boing

18 Likes

The headline and written description don’t mention the skin color of any of the people involved but I’m sure the answer will shock no one.

44 Likes

54 Likes

Explanation right here:

32 Likes

Good: let this serve as the wake up call and spark the mobilization needed to stop Kemp and his desperate, immoral election rigging. Fuck that guy, let him wear this stain forever.

16 Likes

It is going to be really amusing if a lot of people show up to the polls with coolers full of bottled water. I am considering a visit to do exactly that.

31 Likes

This is disgusting, Jim-Crow style behaviour. But based on what I’ve seen lately, the many citizens of Georgia who still believe in liberal democracy are going to push back hard as a result.

31 Likes

Mass arrests at the polling places? Sure, it looks bad, but the end result is what matters. Politics is a zero sum game.

8 Likes

File under “Fascism In The USA” for future historians.

29 Likes

I was wondering if one could sell water and/or food? So someone goes down the line handing out pennies and then someone else, totally unrelated, comes along with 1¢ water and snax.

38 Likes

I like your thinking! That’s a creative way to balance things. Keep up the brainstorming.

9 Likes

As soon as i read that the republicans were making a supply of water illegal for those waiting to vote, i imagined (and hoped) for some Sacha Baron Cohen (inspired) character to interview a Georgia republican and ask: “Why was the bill requiring voters to crawl over a path of broken glass not submitted for a proper vote!?” (“So, state representative, when did you’all decide that winning office by accumulating the most votes was no longer a possibility?”)

12 Likes

This is what they mean by “quiet part loud”, right?

15 Likes

I’m too disgusted to look at any of TFAs – can someone tell me exactly what supposed crime this legislator was arrested for?

5 Likes

According to the Axios article, “obstruction of law enforcement and disrupting a session of the Georgia General Assembly”.

9 Likes

Half of that being the old “What am I being arrested for!?” “well, just now, resisting arrest.” policing tautology. -sigh-

10 Likes

The Georgia anti-voting law is so, so upsetting to me. The more I read about it, the worse it is. The impact is going to be ugly, not just on Georgia elections, but the balance of power nationwide, as they openly disenfranchise Black, Democratic voters there, turns my stomach.

@dommerdoodle
They’re really not making any effort at all to even pretend it’s about “voter fraud” are they?

I hope so, but how much can actually be done, now that it’s law? (Since the courts are packed with Trumpers, especially.)

But wouldn’t that be considered paying someone to vote, which is also illegal? Someone would have to walk down the line, ostentatiously dropping pennies everywhere and saying, “Oops, I dropped some more pennies, oh well, I don’t want them back.” or something equally ridiculous.

20 Likes

Lemme get this straight, because it’s Friday and my brain is not operating at full capacity… a member of the General Assembly… was arrested for disrupting the General Assembly… outside the Governor’s office?

13 Likes

Is it too late to just tell the Confederacy that they won?
Here you go - you’re your own country now. Have a ball.
Everything south of Mason-Dixon, east of the Mississippi, and you get to keep Florida as a throw-in. Feel free to build a wall around it.

3 Likes

“This knock on the door is the equivalent to people storming the Capitol, which we didn’t do by the way.”

17 Likes