Georgia man arrested at Capitol insurrection commits suicide

He won’t.

It’s not his fault that we’ve all failed to treat him like the special little monarch that he knows he is.

That’s what narcissism is all about.

6 Likes

a fucking investment banker.

Not the downtrodden economically victimized white americans that you expect to be duped by trump.

15 Likes

When you become addicted to “red pills” the withdrawal symptoms can be deadly.

9 Likes

I can’t say why, but when I quick-scanned this sentence, I read it as, “the special little cockroach…”. :rofl:

5 Likes

A culture of toxic masculinity won’t allow some men to say I’m sorry, or I messed up. These are the same men who are more likely to commit suicide due them not feeling comfortable opening up about their feelings, which likely led them down this path to begin with.

No need to feel sorry for them, but do show empathy towards someone who felt so low in life that suicide seemed the only reasonable option. Show empathy and caring for their family and friends, even if they were part of the terrorist attack.

9 Likes

Liebengood was the son of Liebengood Sr, who organised the event, and is connected strongly with Manafort.

11 Likes

Am I the only person here who is kind of uncomfortable with the way the article linked the perpetrator suicide and the police officer suicide? Different motivations, different… different everything, really, and the pivot between the two felt very much like a case of “both sides-ism”. I don’t think that’s what the author intended, but the effect was somewhat there.

20 Likes

It didn’t strike me that way. I guess they were going for the overall tragedy of the event and the fallout. The author was maybe trying to contrast the two, but didn’t add much detail to accomplish that.

Looking at it, I guess the “struggling” part made it less “both-sides-ish” to me.

2 Likes

Facing the negative consequences of one’s poor choices can be a daunting thing; especially if one has no experience with the process.

24 Likes

i think we all should have the right to decide whether we live, or die on our own terms. Death ain’t a picnic or an escape folks, it’s an end.

1 Like

I think it’s going to be plaguing us for a while. Millions of people fell for a set of conspiracy theories. How do we de-Q them all? As a self-sealing cults, some will continue take Biden’s win and the loss of the Senate as proof of the pervasiveness of the Conspiracy. How do these people see reason?

6 Likes

The kindest words I can find here are:

I’m not going to lose any sleep or have the slightest concern over this man’s demise.

10 Likes

i appreciate what you’re saying, and many of them need to hear that message. because, you’re right. they acted courageously and went far and above the line of duty to protect congress and literally democracy

i also want to point out that at least a few were collaborators. two have been suspended but there are doubtless more.

we don’t know that at all. it could be exactly the same motivation.

for all we know people used suicide as a way to stop from ratting other people out, or because they were afraid for their families if the details of what they did were public, or – more likely – less nefarious reasons too. who knows, maybe covid just killed a dear friend.

it’s hard with an op on subjects like this not to speculate, but we really shouldn’t speculate. there’s an infinity of reasons, and not enough information.

we live in a certain kind of society, awash in guns, white fragility, and toxic masculinity. the capitol police saved that usa from a coup born out of that usa. trump too was born out of that usa.

i’m exceedingly grateful for them and their actions. i also don’t want their actions to become a justification for raising their budget another half a billion, and committing to making the capitol building an impenetrable fortress.

i thank them, and i still believe defunding the police is the right way to address the present moment.

8 Likes

I’m more sad that his suicide prevented the possibility of him seeing the error of his ways and reforming his life. Prison shouldn’t be the place where we lock away “bad guys” and throw away the key. It should be where we send people who have made bad choices and let them try making different choices.

I’m also annoyed that this will undoubtedly be spun into the deep state “Epsteining” one of the fellow patriots on the right. I mean there are already calls to martyr the lady who was shot climbing in the window toward the people trying to protect the congresspeople.

14 Likes

larger groups were negotiating with the terrorists, for instance the line that got out of the way here

it was at least three or four, hard to tell

elected officials were on the other side of that door

6 Likes

That blue line was not just thin, but frail and watery.

3 Likes

In this incredible time of apparent doom from all directions it’s hard for even the most rational people to maintain stability. We recognize the heroism of our medical providers and others. Right now I can’t imagine how rough it must be for the folks running the suicide hotlines. So keep them mind as yet another group of great Americans regardless of anyone’s politics.

12 Likes

Who knew the banking sector was also infested with Antifa?

9 Likes

@GinaLoukareas
Not to distract away from the actual story but we should refrain from the term “committed suicide” and instead use “died of suicide”. There are a many number of places discussing this language, but here is a decent write-up on this topic Link.

The TL:DR summary is that suicide is a cause of death, and when dealing with mental health language especially matters.

7 Likes

Mental health counseling is going to be needed almost as much as a vaccine. About 1/2 of my family is on the edge, and we lost one this summer when my broth-in-law decided to check out. I’m holding it together because I have two kiddos and a wife who need me. And I need them more than anything else right now.

We bitch at each other, we fight, we yell and scream and shake our fists. Then we spend ~10 min apart and come back and apologize and talk about how important it is to stay sane with each other. I’m a lucky, lucky man.

16 Likes