German government giving up on digital reassembly of shredded Stasi files, resorting to manual puzzlings

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/09/truth-reconciliation-and-tape.html

3 Likes

If they supply the peanut butter, my dog will have it done by Friday.

1 Like

I am thinking of the earlier Shredder Challenge issued by DARPA on this very topic. Perhaps this could be restarted as the “bonus round.”

2 Likes

Maybe some of those Iranian craftsmen from the 1979 revolution are still around to do the work.

5 Likes

Is the Church of Scientology not eligible for Most Invasive Surveillance State? Because they seem to to turn every member into a snitch.

4 Likes

Scene: An intelligence analyst in Germany’s FIS gets the report on the shredded files.

Gunther: “Oh, goody! I love puzzles!”

3 Likes

May I offer you an Umlaut? Oh, and obligatorily:

3 Likes

Yes. Please make that a cheese umlaut.

6 Likes

That would be Käse, then. So ein Käse, as I say in German when my joke falls flat.

4 Likes

Soufflés can fall flat. Your joke didn’t.

(Ha! Didn’t catch me on the acute accent mark!)

2 Likes

Well no wonder it’s hard, it’s all in German! No way could I do that, maybe if it was in English like normal documents.

3 Likes

Maybe the CAPTCHA people could help out with that.

2 Likes

Je l’ai fondu sur la langue.

ETA, to keep this thread going: however acute and spiced satirical content may be, it’s protection from the law is stronger than it’s protection from bad humourists (and Twitter/Facebook bots and moderators). Titanic scored. Team Maas 0, Team Titanic 15.

They’ll might well win the match, you know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.