German in Venice tours California's squatters paradise: 'Slab City'

Originally published at: German in Venice tours California's squatters paradise: 'Slab City' | Boing Boing

4 Likes

almost went to Slab City when the wife and I were in Palm Springs a couple weekends ago. But we went to Pioneertown instead. I think we made the wrong decision.

3 Likes

Just started re-reading Alice isn’t Dead (this time as a bedtime story for my daughter). Slab City plays a big part of the story. I didn’t know it was a real place.

Read the book:

Or listen to the podcast (which is arguably even better with more chicken crossing the road jokes):

Both are fantastic and feel like Slab City looks.

3 Likes

It’s not really a tour. He basically talks to one guy for almost the whole 14 minutes. Which is fine, but I was hoping for something… you know… a little bit more like a tour?

FWIW, here’s longer video that is pretty interesting and definitely gives a much better sense of the place. (yeah, I get it, it’s longer, duh :slight_smile:)

5 Likes

Yeah, when he mentioned Rainbow Camp and described it as the trans encampment, all I could think was “why is he still talking to this dude?”

1 Like

What no East Jesus?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.