German town seizes and sells family's dog on eBay to cover their debts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/28/german-town-seizes-and-sells.html

3 Likes

Some German should be hit on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

28 Likes

Frank Merschhausm, spokesman for the city of Ahlen, told NPR in an email that the seizure of “the valuable pet” was “legally permissible,” because of open claims by the city’s treasury office.

Is it actually legal though? Just because a city official says they can do so doesn’t mean they were in the right.

8 Likes

Well they were eying the husband’s wheelchair first but they did not own it so they moved onto the dog.

7 Likes

maybe they just thought it was an ugly baby?

10 Likes

So you think American authorities’ taste for asset seizure is bad?

You can’t seize it if you already shot it to death.

30 Likes

The town had said they wanted to sell the couples firstborn child but it was so ugly they opted for the pug instead.

1 Like

Looking into this a bit more, and perhaps hope someone from a legal background or at least more familiar with Germany can help me interpret this:

https://www.gleisslutz.com/en/regulations_asset_recovery.html

From what i can tell as long as someone didn’t commit a crime i don’t think that the town was in the right to seize and sell off the dog. Also over there its labeled confiscation, which leads me to believe that normally it’d be possible to get your assets back. But if this town sold the dog it’d be nearly impossible to get it back from whomever bought it. I don’t know if i’m parsing this correctly or not (probably not).

3 Likes

I was going to say, I thought you had to use Craigslist if you wanted to purchase a living creature.

3 Likes

(auction to be withdrawn by the author, will not be deleted from the news until further notice)

3 Likes

5 Likes

Low down scummy ass thing to do, Auf wiedersehen Douche Bags.

6 Likes

I see you shepherding in some Teutonic morality.

3 Likes

That’s downright awful. In fact, it’s repugnant.

10 Likes

Why not??

Kidnapping and selling someone’s baby calls for an extreme response.

And having been a paperboy growing up - I have very specific skill set for rolling newspapers.

13 Likes

However, he acknowledged that the method used to sell the animal might be open to criticism.

…by the pound, sliced thin.

1 Like

I’ve been told by two separate people (who didn’t know each other) who’d eaten dog tacos in TJ (one purposefully, the other accidentally) that they were actually pretty good. shrug

That said, if you took one of my pets like this, I would attempt to kill you in the most horrid, painful way possible. Yes, really. Just as if you took and sold my mother.

1 Like

Man, I am such an amateur. I’d just get the enforcement officer fired and get the city government removed from office.

Although maybe there would be grounds to have the enforcement officer charged with a crime, too. I’m not convinced the act of taking the dog in the first place is legal. Even in Germany.

Sell’s? Who is Sell?

2 Likes