Get a personal stylist for a reasonable price

Flare/flair

I have pegged my jeans once or twice (or more :D)

1 Like

So, where should I take my cues from when trying to mimic the latest designer fashions? GQ, Esquire, and the like? Or catalogs? Or is this something where I’d have to start paying enough attention to develop my own tastes?

I feel like this is the root of my problem, especially with pants, and doubly so with dress pants worn higher on the waist (as opposed to jeans worn on the hips). If they’re comfortable when I’m sitting, they fall down when I stand up, and if they stay up when I’m standing, the pinch my belly when I sit.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy tailored pants? Can a guy with a middling-big belly buy well-fitting clothes off the rack?

1 Like

Yes, absolutely! In fact, Nordstrom rack. Then find a seamstress or tailor, pay $15 bucks, and boom. :slight_smile:

That applies to cotton or wool pants, not denim obviously.

We have a Nordstrom rack around here, apparently, now all I have to do is find a tailor. $15 sounds like a deal if I can get pants that fit out of it. Thanks!

Do some shopping around, but I don’t think I’ve ever paid twenty bucks to alter or tailor a single pant.

1 Like

I won’t wear boot cut, ever. A straight fitted cut- not skinny, and no taper. Original 501(ish). Darker denim is more “formal” than lighter/faded. Non-indigo denim is iffy in my world.
Jackets are amazing- if they fit. Shoulders matter, sleeve length matters. Two buttons, double (side) vent. Never, ever button the bottom button of any men’s top/jacket/vest/cardigan/whatever.
Ties are great- they can take a ho-hum outfit and kick it up a notch or three- I’ll wear an oxford cloth button down with jeans and a tie, and suddenly I’m well dressed.

2 Likes

I’d start with trying to emulate someone who you like for two reasons - their street style reflects your taste and the fact that you possibly fit the same body type.
There’s load of actors I’d wish to emulate, such as Idris Elba, but I’m so far from his body type I may as well be googling ‘circus tents’. I think something more reasonable for me would be someone who resembles a current-day Harry Dean Stanton. For a quick search, I’m choosing Rhys Ifans because he’s very close to my age and fitness level (thin, but soft-bellied). Johnny Lee Miller is waaaay too fit to match me.

Now, Ifans isn’t my best choice for style icon because when he’s dressed himself, he seems to scream ‘aging rocker’ more than I’d care to be seen as. But - he’s a good body match. So, I’m a bit more choosy as I peruse images. If I had more time, yes I’d cross reference Ifans and GQ, but I’ve already found a jacket and tie that I think are great.

With an afternoon, I’m sure I could come up with some good better images for my phone that I could compare out at the sales, bargain stores, or even resale boutiques. A good rule to follow is that you don’t have to come away with something every time. Walking away empty-handed is much better than wearing something that isn’t right for you.

That is the death knell of the double breasted, isn’t it. Well, and that it was basically a stupid costume that only looked good on four people ever.

1 Like

Granted, it was a huge waste of material. I prefer today’s sleeker fits.

2 Likes

They are both stylish. That double leg slit on that dress, with the entire cut just looks stunning.

Off to Stanton and his (minor) faux pas.

If you do button your jacket and I can see your belt buckle, you better be a bell hop. It is two inches too short in the first photo, but the shoulders and fit otherwise look great.

Second photo, his hem slouches. Like a mile. If you want to be a real rocker, hem your trousers and wear pink socks.

(He is pretty good, even with the constructive feedback :D)

Edit

He has an iPhone in his front jacket pocket. I rescind all nice things I said :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Like I said, it’s just a quick search. I’d need an afternoon to find the choice stuff to try and emulate in the bargain bin.

Mainly, it’s the color and pattern I like about the first, and the skinny tie paired with the shirt I like in the second. But I do like the leaner look of today’s style. Ugh. Hated the billowy look of the 80’s.

1 Like

[quote]Off to Stanton Ifans and his (minor) faux paus.

If you do button your jacket and I can see your belt buckle, you better be a bell hop. It is two inches too short in the first photo, but the shoulders and fit otherwise look great.
[/quote]

I think the problem is he’s wearing extremely low-rise jeans, which looks terrible.

1 Like

Not to scare you off @MrMonkey, but this shows that some planning before hitting the shops is better than getting frustrated and grabbing anything while you’re out shopping.

Me too. I am not a thin person–200lbs at 6’2"–but I so much prefer a skinny tie and slim fit clothes. And the texture on that first coat is absolutely up my alley.

In fact I may go jacket hunting in the next few days. I don’t even have a clue what sort of vintage shops are around me, and I am starting a new job…

Seems like we can get @japhroaig as a personal stylist for free.

These kind of ideas sound interesting to me, but I worry they’ll end up like this:

1 Like

Oh Jesus Christ does the world need that?

6 Likes

You want me to do it instead?
This shirt and these pants:

6 Likes

As a hefty fellow, I highly recommend suspenders. Really for all sizes. And they come in all kinds of styles. The variety is insane. I’m telling you britches be crazy, man.

1 Like

Have you been looking in my wardrobe?

2 Likes