Get chai: Israel moving toward marijuana legalization

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/27/get-chai-israel-moving-toward.html

2 Likes

Is decriminalization a step toward legalizations? I guess, in the case of my own home state that was around a 35-40 year step.

5 Likes

The “treatment” strikes me as being a sop towards hard-liners who don’t want to do any of this. As usual, policies have to evolve gradually to meet with any political success.

I would expect these rules to disappear as they inch closer to full legalization.

1 Like

Ugh, fine, earthlings, have your weed, buuuut also take these fascist dictators and asshole hard-liners.

–The Universe, apparently

3 Likes

What’s this about marijuana-infused chai?

1 Like

1000 shekels (about $265)

Or about 300 clams…

Bhang maybe?

I’m confused. And I’m no even high.

Sounds about right.

But the title of this thread is “Get chai”, not “Get bhang”.

1 Like

Doesn’t appear to be a translation from Yiddish or anything…

Hey @pesco why is chai?

Some kind of phoneme sound-alike?

2 Likes

I do believe it is simply for the pun.

2 Likes

But what it is a pun upon? Inquiring minds want to know!

Get high?

2 Likes

*blinks

2 Likes

Have you followed my instructions which will allow you to decode the pun yet?

3 Likes

Is chai a big thing in Israel?

*blinks twice, really slowly

1 Like

You must be high.

Which is not pronounced chai.

1 Like

It’s a pun. Chai is a Hebrew word (and popular necklace charm) that means “life.” Its actually pronounced like “high” but with guttural H like you’re hawking up a loogie. You may have heard the toast “L’chaim” which means, “To life.”

6 Likes

Is it the same ch as in loch?

If so, I can pronounce that.

Properly.

1 Like

As with many things in Jewish law, it depends which legal authority you ask/what traditions you adhere to.

1 Like

1000 shekels, you must be joking …

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/LOB-hagglescene.php. I’ve never been able to take the shekel seriously as a currency, precisely because of this scene.