Get in on the free burgers: National Burger Day 2024

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/28/get-in-on-the-free-burgers-national-burger-day-2024.html

2 Likes

Wow, I had no idea that so many burger franchises were pushing apps or “rewards programs.” But I think I’ll be declining those offers.

6 Likes

I will admit, burgers are one of my favorite foods. Sadly, really good ones seem to be hard to come by in my part of New Jersey. Every diner here has a “deluxe burger” on their menu (deluxe means you get lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and fries with your burger…I have no idea why that means deluxe), and they are almost all awful. I’m pretty sure they use the same frozen meat patties from whatever food service company supplies them, and they taste suspiciously like school cafeteria burgers. There is a Five Guys, but it’s a 15 minute drive away, and that’s just not worth the trip. The best burger close by is Wendy’s, and I hate Wendy’s burgers. So I shall celebrate National Burger Day by making my own, I think.

4 Likes

Pretty much how it’s been in recent history, same with birthday related promos. Because of that I no longer bother even checking to see what kind of deals there are because most will want you to sign up for something.

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

2 Likes

Where I’m at there’s good options. Probably the best I’ve had recently was a smash burger at a newly opened dive bar, the freshness of the patty and the cook on it was really great but for the size/price (7 bucks for a small smash burger) making it at home would’ve been better. But as a thing to enjoy while drinking? So good.

3 Likes

There’s a bar and grill about a half hour away that has an Oklahoma Onion Burger on their menu. I was so excited to try it. After eating it, I am convinced the cook has never been to Oklahoma nor had an authentic Oklahoma Onion Burger in his life. I was disappoint. Especially because I was so hoping that place would be worth returning to. The place advertises itself as having been established in 1787. Apparently, an Inn where you could get food was founded at that location in 1787, and there has been an inn, bar, or restaurant operating under the same, or similar, name ever since. But the current building is definitely nowhere near that old, and the ownership has changed dozens of times, and I don’t think it’s been under continuous operation since 1787, so it’s not really the same place at all.

4 Likes

Kent Rollins had a pretty good video on making those…

Or if you prefer, J. Kenji Lopez-Alt

3 Likes

That’s super disappointing, frankly i would’ve been quite disgruntled about it. George Motz (a burger aficionado that has researched and written about burger history) covers the onion burger as well and is rated by him as one of his top faves, if you haven’t seen his stuff on First We Feast i’d recommend the videos he’s in. I’ve seen him talk about it in multiple videos but here’s a short

2 Likes

Oh I’m familiar with Motz. I was just about to post this, lol.

ETA: I lived in Oklahoma City for 9 years, so I was familiar with the Oklahoma Onion Burger before the rest of the country discovered them over the last few years.

3 Likes

My assumption was that you likely knew him, glad to have that confirmed :slight_smile: I was going to just mention him by name but figured i’d link to him in case others wanted to check his stuff.

3 Likes

kroger had their own brand 12-packs of Angus patties on sale cheap a couple weeks ago, so my BF bought a box. OMG they are soooo good!

He made some yesterday, but maybe I’ll make more today b/c Burger Day.

There’s a non-chain coney joint w/a drive thru a couple blocks away, and their burgers and hot dogs are great. They have a big menu, and we often get their gigantic corned beef sandwiches (on onion rolls, of course), gyros, Philly cheese steak, fish & chips…and their more conventional dinners come with lots of XLNT veg and V nice smashed potatoes.

1 Like

I like their simple truth burgers (which only come in a 4 pack)… I tend to not eat much beef anymore, though and I’m really the only on in the house that does…

1 Like

I need to take a lactose pill just looking at those burgers! slobber.

These burger days gotta hurt the restaurants tho, when one day they offer incredible deals then the next it’s a choice of eating or house payment.

I used to have Teens all the time, was happy when an A&W (Canada) opened a few blocks away - 2 Teens for $6 was my weakness.

Today? ONE Teen burger costs $9. That is $7.60 USD.
Prices go up, patties shrink, and the ‘value menu’ is a farce. Buddy Burgers used to be $1.90… now are $3.40.

Fast food was never healthy, but it was affordable. How are people doing it these days?

1 Like

An inner debate has begun in my head: burgers again already, something with burger in it, or the hell with it and make chicken shalad?

Tuna Shalad
I printed out that strip the day it arrived in my inbox, and it lived on our fridge for YEARS tophat-biggrin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.