Get whiter teeth after just one of these charcoal treatments

Charcoal isn't safe:

The thought behind activated charcoal is that, since many makeups are using it to absorb oils, it may also be good to absorb stains from teeth. However, says Dr. Mohsenzadeh, “There are no oils to absorb from teeth. What they don’t tell you is that you are not absorbing the stain, you are instead using a highly abrasive material that abrades away the enamel surface of your teeth. The enamel cannot be replaced.”

The ADA says, “Using materials that are too abrasive on your teeth can actually make them look more yellow. Enamel is what you’re looking to whiten, but if you’re using a scrub that is too rough, you can actually wear it away. When that happens, the next layer of your tooth can become exposed – a softer, yellow tissue called dentin.” LINK

LED technology (used with charcoal) isn't effective:

An LED (light emitting diode) whitening system is a bleach-based treatment, and home-based kits contain lower concentrations of the bleaching substance than what your dentist offers. An LED whitening system typically includes several applications of a whitening agent, applicators, mouth trays and LED light for treatments over a period of days. Light is thought to speed up the whitening process, says The Open Dentistry Journal (ODJ). It acts as a catalyst on carbamide peroxide, which becomes hydrogen peroxide, the bleaching agent that whitens your teeth. LINK

bOING-bOING + CEO of NUOVAWHITE Charcoal Teeth Whitening System:

gif-keyboard-3982977427654672904

As a bonus grift, this “NuovaWhite” company is piggybacking on a legitimate company’s name (NovaWhite).

2 Likes

Yup, hydrogen peroxide. $1.29 for 16 ounces. Or possibly cheaper from one’s local drugstore.

Mix a small amount with an equal amount of water, swish around in the mouth, spit out. Don’t use too much, as it foams up.

Is a fine oral irrigation. But at the concentrations you can legally and easily buy for a buck twenty nine a bottle. It’s not going to whiten your teeth. Tooth whitening treatments, especially at the dentist. Use much more concentrated peroxide.

Not putting that in my mouth either.

Oh yeah, for sure, you’re right it won’t give scary-white teeth like in the photo in the OP. I should have made that clear. It will just help lighten stains to help bring back the look of the natural, unstained teeth. I noticed the effect when I was using hydrogen peroxide as a gargle for a sore throat.

Other ways I’ve found to have better-looking teeth without going to extremes are prevention (avoid coffee, tea, chocolate, cola, etc.) and maintenance (brush longer, though without abrasive toothpaste).

I’m all about do-it-yourself, low-cost, low-key, and preventive maintenance, and I’d probably never consider using one of these tooth-whitening products. I guess I’m actually a bit off-topic here.

1 Like

hey, if it was good enough for jolson…

When I saw the headline I was totally expecting to see a photo of a soot-faced coal miner whose teeth appeared bright simply due to the enhanced contrast.

2 Likes

"Coal miners trick for perfect white teeth. Use it tonight! "

My off-ivory chompers are the product of years of heavy tea drinking. I have dyed fillings brown. Why would I ever want to roll back all of those years of cultivating such a healthy shade of beige?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.