Get your own Jewish Space Laser control panel

Originally published at: Get your own Jewish Space Laser control panel | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Ooh. Comes with a real, heavy duty toggle switch.

12 Likes

I have the portable blessed by a Rabbi and total Kosher edition. Notice it’s totally Mazel Tough!

44 Likes

This is a writing prompt for Mel Brooks made manifest.

I can see the script now:

Title card- Spaceballs II:
The Search Quest for More Money

INT. Earth’s President’s Office
Open on a room that looks like the Oval Office, over two minutes a bank of various buttons goes by labeled “Soda”, “Nuke”, and “Jewish Space Laser” Fingers drum on a lone hand…

14 Likes

Yeah, instead of a bust of some dude, it’s a bobble head Rabbi. I’m down with that. Shabbat Shalom!

9 Likes

YEAH BABY! NOW YER TALKING! :scream_cat:

2 Likes

This article immediately reminded me of the “Jews in Space” scene at the end of “Mel Brooks’ History of the World Part I”.

11 Likes

That looks like a very satisfying toggle to actuate.

7 Likes

I know, it’s SAF!

2 Likes

Many years ago, when I was doing Street Cred reviews for Wired, a company sent me a weapons control panel that mounted on the dash of your car. It had toggles and jewel buttons for photon torpedoes, phasers, forward and aft cannons (IIRC). They lit up and had great sound effects. It was WAY more satisfying than it should have been to actually use in a car when someone in front or behind was annoying you.

23 Likes

Roger That!

5 Likes

11 Likes

Doesn’t work on Friday nights and Saturday mornings.

8 Likes

And its just in time for Passover. Look, a new plague on the Pharoah.

5 Likes

Concord also offers customizable Apollo Command Module control panels. I want to fit one into my boat’s nav console to actuate (on/off) the running lights, blower motor and bilge pump and label the panel “Shark” with the switches labeled “Tiger”, “Hammerhead” and “White” in the off position and “chum” in the on position.
could be fun.
“set course 335 NNW and chum hammerhead, ready the white chum”
“aye, Cap’n”
“sun’s settin’ Cap’n, shall I chum the tiger?”
“steady! they’ll not see us coming…”

yeah. could be fun.
now, where to mount the Jewish Space Laser?

11 Likes

No, it’s cool. They have a shabbos goy to take care of it, if they chose to, of course.

8 Likes

Oh man if only I had heard of the chemtrails switch when I knew a paranoid person!

7 Likes

Such a bizarre workaround. Similar to Amish owning cars, but having “English” to drive them…

I just don’t get it. If I compel someone (though payment) to do something forbidden, surely I’m guilty as well?

2 Likes

(Sold out, though.)

18 Likes

But it isn’t forbidden for gentiles. Judaism is one of those religions that doesn’t hold its rules bind everybody. If I understand correctly, gentiles are considered bound only by the Noahide Laws, which don’t say anything about observing the Sabbath (or keeping kosher, etc.):

7 Likes