Ghislaine Maxwell gets 20 years in prison for helping Epstein groom, abuse underage girls

Well, Epstein is dead.

1 Like

A littler wider.

1 Like

To my mind, one of the functions of the state is to see that a measure of justice is done. Justice in this instance should not be a slap on the wrist for the enormous harm that she has done without remorse. She has lived a life of privilege and wealth up to this point. She essentially served as a pimp for a horrible person for years, and apparently also participated in his crimes. I’m ok with the cost of her incarceration if it means that she can’t live above the law any longer.

Twenty years in federal prison for a late-middle-aged woman is not a slap on the wrist. This is why sentences are determined by courts, not victims or vengeance-seekers. Her life is effectively over from this. More time in prison will not change that and again costs the state money for no benefit to society. You keep talking around my point to make a different one.

Justice is catching the perpetrators and making sure they can’t harm anyone else. It is not eye-for-eye punishment. Again, this is the dark punitive view of prison that so many Americans seem to hold, often seemingly without realizing it.

2 Likes

She actively participated in their rapes and trafficked them. She deserves to go to jail as much as anyone else here.

4 Likes

You seem to be misunderstanding my point as well. I am not advocating for an eye for an eye punishment. I am advocating for the removal of her from society so she can’t participate in harming anyone else. How would you propose that this happen if not prison time? Should she be placed under house arrest in the mansion of one of her friends?

You seem to be more concerned for her than for her victims. Again, she has not expressed any remorse for her crimes. She has not even acknowledged that she committed crimes against these young women.

I’m afraid that we will have to agree to disagree. I’m not avoiding your points, I’m disagreeing with them.

1 Like

Nbc Agree GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I just hope she lives in misery for the majority of her sentence before she dies.

5 Likes

Things happen in jail. She might last a long time.

Shame.

2 Likes

Where did I say she shouldn’t go to prison?

Easy now- that’s unfair and a very dark thing to accuse me of.

Let’s end this thread here. I think we’ve both spoken our peace on the matter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.