Ghostbusters: Afterlife is getting a sequel

Yes, loved the cast, but not the film. I liked the opening scene and some of the jokes landed, but overall I was baffled by a lot of the plot and design decisions. I don’t get why they went to the trouble of bringing back the original cast just to play different characters–why not just make it a true sequel and craft a story about the daughters taking over the family business?

1 Like

If only the misogynists, racists, and “they are destroying my childhood!” outrage machine could have kept their collective Disappointment contained, then they could have simply complained about the far less controversial opinion that it simply wasn’t a very good film.

Afterlife was … fine. It screwed with the timeline in some weird ways, and leaned so heavily into nostalgia that it was practically a circle jerk at points, but it was enjoyable enough. I’m fine with there being a sequel. Hopefully it’s better than the original Ghostbusters’ sequel.

The working theory is that it took place in an alternate dimension. This would also explain why nobody seemed to have any recollection of the events of the original movies. (Or it was just lazy writing — take your pick.)

3 Likes

The Newspaper sequences seemed like they padded out the first film.

1 Like

There was a considerable tonal shift in the original series when it became “Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters”. Executive meddling took creative control away from J. Michael Straczynski of all people. I feel like it’s one of those things that’s been bashed to death in any number of places; suddenly I am at a loss to find an appropriate link, though this video comes to mind.

I did see that he seems to be on board with doing more, which would make so much sense right now.

In 2016 there were reports that Ivan Reitman himself was going to be involved with something called Ecto Force, but that seems to have quietly evaporated.

As for Afterlife, there are suggestions that they might rehash Ghostbusters II just like they rehashed the original Ghostbusters, and that’s just so very sad.

2 Likes

“A bit goofy at times”?

Though I am not sure if the implied ghost BJ scene is a “a bit goofy”.

1 Like

Ghostbusters:Afterlife wasn’t a reboot but an actual sequel and it was quite nice.

1 Like

Well the guy who played Vigo is long dead, but I’m down to see Peter MacNicol reprise Janosz.

Or maybe they just make something original, ya know?

2 Likes

It was everything I’d hoped a Ghostbusters revival to be. (Not a reboot, like the article writer seemed to suggest - a direct sequel to the original canon, directed by the son of the original director.) I enjoyed Ghostbusters 2 more than some, and liked Afterlife at least as much. It was also a touching tribute to Harold Ramis. Ties in with canon material beautifully, including the video games. Somewhat of a different feel to it, like Ghostbusters crossed over with Stranger Things, but still very good. Particularly the climax and the mid- and post- credits scenes…

The 2016 movie was a political reboot which was unneeded, unwanted, and made without any consideration for the fans. The trailers are so awful, I’ve even turned down opportunities to watch the whole movie for free. SO glad it’s not being pursued for a sequel!

This coming from a fan of the franchise since the first sneak preview of the original on Siskel & Ebert.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.