'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' gets a new trailer

Originally published at: 'Ghostbusters: Afterlife' gets a new trailer | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“Who you gunna call?”

9 Likes

23 Likes

I’m in!

This is the sort of reboot I wanted back in 2016. I liked that movie well enough, and Jones, Wiig, et al were great, but I wanted a new story, not the same old story with new faces and better fx. But that’s just me personally.

(I hope the 2016 cast has cameos in this one. Toxic fandom makes me think there won’t be, but if Bill Murray is in “Afterlife,” so should Jones!)

19 Likes

Waits for all the mens to scream about how this remake is ruining their childhood. Anyone? No? Just the remake that had an all female cast, then? Interesting.

22 Likes

So 13 Ghosts, with ghostbusters?

5 Likes

No criticism to the filmmakers, but the “better fx” part is subjective. Personally I still think that the puppet-based effects in the original were darn near perfect in their own way, and I hope that this new film has a consistent visual aesthetic. I appreciated that the Force Ghost Yoda in The Last Jedi was filmed with a puppet consistent with episodes V and VI rather than being a purely CGI creation.

10 Likes

I’ve been very keen on this movie :slight_smile: Also apparently Adam Savage worked on one of the props for it, he’s been very mum about what it is but i’m looking forward to watching it. If i did have to give some criticism i am disappointed that it seems to be retreading the plot from the first movie with Zuul and the terror dogs, i was hoping for something else but i’m still interested.

7 Likes

Good point, I should have said “updated FX.” New isn’t always better. Puppetry has a “presence” in a way that CGI, by definition, doesn’t. Same way that stop motion animation has a charm that CGI doesn’t (IMO).

4 Likes

I’m one of the people who thought that the 2016 one was mediocre at best, like an SNL sketch that just went on too long (but didn’t know when to quit). I was truly hoping it would have been good, but left sadly disappointed.

However, as someone who grew up with the movies and the cartoons (and who played the 2016 video game), I’m super excited about this one. My childhood’s threat level is solidly at green.

5 Likes

This looks good, I’m excited to see it.

I’m not excited to go into a theater. So I guess I’ll watch it when it becomes available for rent/purchase, or maybe streaming. I’ll be able to use the reviews from theater-goers to decide which I guess.

2 Likes

Needs more Teela.

22 Likes

They decide to highlight “Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy” for Paul Rudd? That should be a big clue right there.

1 Like

That Paul Rudd is awesome?

8 Likes

THIS.

A skillful mix of practical effects and CG supporting it can really make a movie shine.

3 Likes
1 Like

This looks like a lot of fun

1 Like

Is this the place I can rant about trailers that are actually Cliff’s Notes versions of the entire movie? Because I frigging HATE trailers that are Cliff’s Notes versions of the entire movie.

3 Likes

It COULD be, but then again, everything from the first GB – terror dogs included – might still have been cooped up in the same ghost traps since the 1980s, with no long-term management plan besides burying them in a big hole in the middle of nowhere, and here we are today.

Maybe the Reagan administration didn’t want to fund a mission to fire all the ghost traps out into space. Which is itself a shame, because Ghostbustin’ on Titan or Europa would have been epic (unless Michael Bay got his hands on it.)

3 Likes

(And BTW, I momentarily couldn’t think of the name Michael Bay – Turns out that googling “director explosions” pulls it right up, first item. “Guitar douche” used to do that with John Mayer, but it doesn’t any more – Unclear whether this represents celebrity redemption for Mayer or just mainstreaming of the term.)

2 Likes