Ghosting is now happening at the workplace too

The worst advice I’ve ever taken regarding job search is from my Boomer parents.

“Apply for a job and wait to hear back”.

Much better advice is “apply for hundreds of jobs, never expect to hear back. Eventually someone may offer to interview with you. They’ll expect you to be grateful that they did their job”.

20 Likes

Roger that, as they say. Right up there with ‘why don’t you offer to work for free for a few weeks, so they’ll know you’re a good worker?’ uh.

8 Likes

Aye, cast a wide net. Best case scenario, you have your pick of jobs and leverage. Even if only one or two make you an offer, you’ll be glad you didn’t wait on others. In fact, having been in the position of hiring, I’d worry a little bit about someone who didn’t have the initiative to shop around.

6 Likes

It wasn’t anything to do with that. He had gone before and had wanted to go with me that year but worked pulled him away.

Besides, I’m not a hedonist.

Yes, ghosting is a terrible thing. I didn’t take it personally though. This was very much on him and NOT my fault.

8 Likes

I think a lot of people are glad to be rid of people who’d ghost you in a relationship, but it would be nice to know that before you put time and effort into them.

7 Likes

Oh, definitely. As they say “Rejection is protection.”

Prior to this, he pretended to be a stand up guy, which he was not.

8 Likes

giphy%20(9)

9 Likes

I don’t imply my experience of folks who go is exhaustive or all encompassing, or even unbiased! It sure isn’t. I have a weird resentment about BM, mostly due to weird experiences with folks who have made their attendance a marker, a signal, of their personality as hedonists.

On a wholly other note, I tried to quit my job the other day, and absolutely ghosted my toxic manager, but my company counteroffered with another job in abother part of the company, and told him to stop talking to me.

HR sounds like a tough iiving. People are awful (and biased to see themselves as the hero usually)

I’m used to seeing the term in the usage of ghosting from a party or event (as in leaving without saying “I’m leaving. Thanks for inviting me. yada yada” for 30 minutes). Since the article doesn’t define what they mean by ghosting in the work place until the very end I assumed they were talking about employees quitting for a new job without notice.

The guy on the other side of my cube wall did that. We chatted briefly most days. And one day he didn’t come in and I assumed he was on vacation. A month later I asked his manger if he had been fired. Manager said no, the guy came in super early when just the front desk person was turning on the lights so to speak, handed her his badge and just said give this to Michael (his manager).

Now that is ghosting a company.

Ended up they found out he hadn’t been doing most of his job duties for many many months and due to some recent team changes it was going to be obvious to everyone soon.

5 Likes

Would it be OK for me to track him down? Asking for me, myself and I.

1 Like

I’ve had a few multi-year spans in my life where I decided to focus on what these days they’d call personal work and not date. On a few occasions during those periods someone would ask me out or otherwise signal interest. When I’d gently turn them down, sometimes they’d be a little bit hurt. I get that; they put themsleves on the line like I have many times, and being turned down is no fun. But I didn’t want to hurt them worse later because I couldn’t put in the effort a healthy relationship requires.

5 Likes

Agreed, emphatically; this is what happens when you build a society on materialism, greed and avarice… “this is what happens, Larry.”

Nope, it’s not; though not very professional, the guy in your example still gave some kind of notice to someone, albeit short notice. ‘Ghosting’ is completely disappearing with no advance warning or notification, at all.

Letting people know you’re not interested upfront is one of most considerate things you can do; that way no one wastes their time needlessly.

11 Likes

He didn’t tell any co-workers, or his manager, or HR. He didn’t actually even verbally admit to the front desk person he was quitting. But good point, handing in his badge was still a passive admission he wasn’t coming back.

7 Likes

I worked with someone who went out for a 15 minute smoke break and just didn’t come back.

Leaving me to run the entire department on my own. At least finish off your shift before doing shit like that, or it’s not the company that you are hurting.

10 Likes

Exactly. Don’t fuck over your coworkers. They’re a lot more likely to spread your reputation than your employer who will only do so if they perceive some financial incentive to do so. And you might find yourself working alongside them again even if you never go back to that company.

7 Likes

He still told someone, even if it wasn’t the appropriate person. The person he did tell presumably passed that info on, since you’re relaying the story now.

Having personally been ghosted IRL more than once, I adamantly stand by the definition I stated above. Furthermore, companies aren’t people, so the very idea of ‘ghosting them’ as opposed to calling it what it actually is, job abandonment, is just silly to me.

Now that’s just inconsiderate as fuck, right there.

7 Likes

SOP for the NHS is to offer you a job, not talk to you for several months then ask you to start yesterday. Then ask for all your references again after 3 months at work because they’ve lost them.

7 Likes

I’m with you. I think to myself, “maybe I should put ‘Easily Indictable’ among my skills?”

1 Like

It’s certainly doable. Where I work (no, I am not saying where), all job postings and application are online. At each phase of the process, people who are screened in get one email, people screened out get another. It may take 6-12 months for this to happen, but that’s the nature of the process.

People do fail to show up for their interviews. It means, then that it’s easy for the interviewers to decide which email category they go in, and can take a coffee break.

Not many people do this. Mostly because there tends to be pretty generous rescheduling accomodations if you contact the hiring committee if you have a conflict or emergency, and it means that you kind of blew the reliability and decision making skills parts of the assessment, which is likely to count against you in the future.

The general assumption is that if you can get to the interview stage, you’re an adult, and capable of weighing the possible consequences of your decisions – as noted, it tends to be an assessment criterion. Some people choose… poorly. Like I said, there are pretty generous accommodations if you need to reschedule. Simply pulling a no-show is thus considered a conscious choice.

6 Likes

And I would never ask. I’m a strong proponent of keeping Boinger and meatspace idents separate.

Yup. I think it also depends on the company and the company’s culture. I’ve worked at small, medium and mega-huge companies, and even within each category, sometimes the culture is chaos and sometimes it favors maturity. I will say that it’s easier to project a culture of mature professionalism at small firms, but by no means does this mean all small firms’ management chooses to do so.

5 Likes