Giant blood clot shaped like the lung it came out of

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/07/giant-blood-clot-shaped-like-t.html

5 Likes

Whoa, whoa, whoa. There’s still plenty of blood in that lung. Now you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going.

11 Likes

A+ reference

11 Likes

Oi, mate, how the fuck are you still alive and why the fuck did this happen to you? Someone help this person, they are coughing out their lung!

Probably of sheer horror.

10 Likes

I saw this story a few days ago. Dude wasn’t even 40, and had a list of maladies I couldn’t believe. How do you get that tore up so fast?

2 Likes

ugh, this is probably top 5 grossest things I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Guessing you don’t have a dog then.

7 Likes

Well, coughing up the pictured object would argue pretty strongly in favor of having one’s affairs in order

10 Likes

I’ll try not to say, “You sound like you’re trying to cough up a lung” ever again after reading/seeing this. :cry:

10 Likes

My guess? He just hit the bad end of the genetic lottery. Or drugs. Or both.

3 Likes

Guarantee something like this is the origin of the statement. Any person would look at that and assume they actually did cough up their lung.

2 Likes

giphy

2 Likes

“Paging Doctor Lovecraft…”

3 Likes

EhSiwGC222

3 Likes

Gee, ya think???

1 Like

It’s called a bronchial cast, and they are not that uncommon. The fact that this one is made of a friggin blood clot is horrifying, but I see them made of mucus with some frequency. You should hear the conversations around my dinner table! Needless to say, my family has learned to control their gag reflexes very well.

12 Likes

He had heart failure. Blood was pooling in his lungs. At this point he was living on borrowed time, and died a few days later.

5 Likes

Still, at that point…

That this even happend boggles my mind.

Medical papers are often just another WTF imageboard. And this screams perish and publish.

ETA: I am truly sorry for this person and still shocked this actually happened. What a way do go, eventually.

3 Likes

I’m not so much grossed out as I’m baffled by how this even works, mechanically. This should not happen, yet it did. Huh.

Edit: for instance, how did he not suffocate first?

2 Likes