Giant buttplug gnome statue unveiled by man suspended by hooks in own flesh

It’s from 2018!

3 Likes

It’s a relief that archaeologists will be able to dig up the ruins of our society and quickly understand what we were all about.

5 Likes

Rob Beschizza, Show some respect to the artist by including his name. While Boing Boing’s judgement with regards to art is typically lacking, here you’ve posted Paul McCarthy, who is arguably one of the most influential American contemporary artists.

5 Likes

( A little video editing would have been good. )

6 Likes

Agreed, I watched the first couple of minutes of roundabout traffic and fluttering cloth before deciding, “I better just check how long this is …”

7 Likes

If you think that was impressive you should see the follow-up video in which they slowly lower the artist down onto the statue.

8 Likes

Jesus wept…

(Really, 25 replies in?)

1 Like

Oh, it won’t be quick.

It will bloom into a slow-burn nightmare of Lovecraftian dimensions.

4 Likes

Wow. A headline-writers dream day.

2 Likes

I had the pleasure of having lunch with Stellarc about 20 years ago (he’s a friend of a friend). Asked “What does it feel like to be suspended by your own skin?”, he replied “It FUCKING hurts!”. And then he laughed in the most wonderful and maniacal fashion. (Something he did frequently … and which I should have recorded for posterity.)

At the time, he was working with some biologists to grow a culture of simian cells over a 3D sculpted form of his face.

5 Likes

I won’t rest until I get to see the original job order for this.

2 Likes

Saw that film (by proxy) when I was like 10.

OUCH.

4 Likes

Upon closer inspection, it does appear that the suspended man did have some sort of safety belt cable, so this may not be as OSHA-violating as it first appears.

Red seems a bit forward for the color a buttplug statue, maybe start a bit smaller?

2 Likes

Nothing surprises me anymore.

1 Like

The Anti-Christo?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.