Giant fake McDonalds poster still up in restaurant 51 days after being sneaked onto the wall

Could be worse. Could be In-N-Out.

1 Like

The Situationist International approves! :+1:

1 Like

I remember this same bit from Do the Right Thing except it worked out a little differently.

Okay, WOW, thanks for this, I’m falling out of the chair here. A perfect storm of wonderful things.

1 Like

The first ones of him i ever saw was his fake product labels for Costco and they were outrageous. I really need to check out his newer stuff, it’s been a while :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If this doesn’t prove that the people who work at McDonald’s just don’t give a s*** about anything nothing does.

I can’t find an online link but I remember a coffee table book detailing Australian activism referring to a group who targeted McD’s by printing and distributing large numbers of fake but realistic looking meal vouchers.

McD’s operators became aware of the fakes but were forced to honor them anyway to avoid angering customers!

2 Likes

Vouchers or coupons? I can tell you that my (UK) McDonald’s manager training back in 2000ish specifically said that we should honour competitor’s coupons. The thinking was that it’s better to take the marginal hit on profit to have the customer. This wouldn’t have extended to vouchers (i.e. this voucher is worth £5). I was going to say that managers would have squashed pranks like fake coupons after a few days but I imagine they’d take the hit if the customer seemed genuine.

1 Like

I’m beginning to think the word “fake” is being overused these days, to the point of losing its original meaning. The poster is certainly unofficial, but it’s hardly fake. It performs the same job as all the other posters, and the subversive, ironic content in no way negates the message that" genuine" posters convey. If anything, he’s made McDonald’s look better than they deserve.

1 Like

Is this some late stage sarcasm?

This stunt generated way more free publicity than any official McDonald’s poster would have, so I think The Man wins this round.

Their slogan, “I’m lovin it”, always read to my eye, “I’m losin it”

1 Like

They don’t really seem to be against McDonald’s, though—they were eating there when the idea occurred to them. Maybe they like McDonald’s and just wanted to see more Asian representation there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And they thought of a way to have fun with it and get noticed on the internet too.

The fact that recuperation can be so easily confused with détournement was always a weak point in SI’s praxis, and this is a textbook example of that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.