After a lifetime of what they think’s just good luck

They’re still more anxious and more thankless
Unearned privilege weighs like an anchor
That’s why they copy what we do, tryna’ be what they not
They will grow up though and get better jobs
They will maintain the system they claim that they hated
But they can’t burn it down they got a stake in this matrix :musical_note:

3 Likes

I am not going to check the source now but I believe this is an urban myth. For one thing, they’re wings which means they have a lot of air resistance. For another, the bones in a swan’s wing are much lighter than human leg bones.

Incidentally years ago there was a swan at the White Harp reservoir in N London which stood around 1.7M at its head. It threatened with its beak but I never saw it actually attack a person or a dog. I was told the way to deal with an attacking swan, if you can’t run, is to remove a jumper or coat and get it over the swan’s head. This struck me at the time as a “all very well but how do you get the necessary training to do this?”

5 Likes

We have some in Devon too - it seems they’re quite happy in Dawlish: http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/more-famous-black-swans-way-421506

1 Like

…and then what?

I can see someone now with a frantic, hissing swan with a jersey over its head under their arm trying to look this up on their phone.

Yep. I reckon the swan’s wing breaking a man’s arm is unlikely, given the compromises in bird’s bones that allow them to fly. De Maupassant reckoned that a swan’s neck was the perfect thing for wiping your arse, but I bet he never tried that either.

2 Likes

Rabelais

THE PENDANT SHALL BE MINE!

7 Likes

My stepmother had a pair of black swans. They seemed friendlier than the white styles. A fox attacked them and killed the lady swan, which made the gentleman swan sad, and then somehow my stepmother got in touch with someone with the opposite deal (i.e. the lady swan survived), and they married them off, which was on the local news. A few days after that another fox killed them both.

2 Likes

De Maupassant? I thought it was Francois Rabelais, and he says (in the Urquhart/Motteux translation*) “there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed.” The goose appears, from context, to be alive. Rabelais does not say how you dispose of the goose afterwards.

*I doubt anybody wants the original.
Edit - oh why not?
Mais, concluent, je dys et mantiens qu’il n’y a tel torchecul que d’un oyzon bien dumeté, pourveu qu’on luy tienne la teste entre les jambes.

4 Likes

Of course. It even sounds like Rabelais, now. There is another De Maupassant quote about bottoms, but this isn’t it. That’s why I could not find it (I did try to check, a bit).

3 Likes

I resemble that remark.

3 Likes

I’ve always thought that what was “uncommon” occurred with noticeably more frequency than “rare”.

Please take better care of yourself than that.

Swans, geese, ducks, they are all dinosaurs. I look at every one of them as they look at me–they have a 65 million year bone to pick.

The three scariest animal encounters I’ve had:

Camping on the rogue River with a dog, and at least two adolescent black bears paced around the campsite, all night. The dog turned like a compass the entire night.

3am in Scottsdale, I was walking the dog. We encountered 12 wild pigs. The dog and I quietly, slowly walked backwards.

Mushroom hunting in Kentucky falls. Two black bear Cubs run at us. “Get in the car now!!!”. Mama was right behind.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Huh? My comment certainly seems to precede yours.

Wait, are you Merlin?

I agree - but no fancy pants writer ever said that an Apatosaurus neck would be perfect for wiping his bottom.

Perhaps if you could manage to slide down one’s tail…

2 Likes

That’s funny.

2 Likes

Maybe… In a Chinese action movie from the 70s.

1 Like

Curiouser and curiouser…

Does Discourse have multiple instances with different synchronisation?

I considered that as a possibility, but the posts are also simply sequentially numbered.

This is just a scheme to make me genuinely earn that pendant isn’t it?

4 Likes