Giant venomous flying spiders headed for New York

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/04/giant-venomous-flying-spiders-headed-for-new-york.html

8 Likes

These movie hype events are getting ridiculous!

Tom Hardy Sony GIF by Venom Movie

22 Likes

Pssht. Not even as big as a banana spider, and not seriously venomous (nor bitey). NY, brace for chill orb-weaver spiders who are pretty neat.

25 Likes

They seriously improve any home hallloween decorations

5 Likes

We’ve had them in Georgia since 2008, but I had them big in 2021 I think. However they havent really appeared again. They like big bushes, and my landscaping was cut back. They havent come back.
Their bite is like a bee sting i’m told, but they stay in their webs. I’ve never seen them “ballooning.”

10 Likes

I had them in the back patio when I lived in Kyushu. No big deal, never had any issues with them. The flying cockroaches on the other hand…

12 Likes

The rats aren’t going to be happy about this!

16 Likes

let them fight fighting GIF

15 Likes

Remember the weird clown sightings around the time It part One was coming out?

6 Likes

big ass spider! GIF by SBS Movies
Could be worse…

14 Likes

Worth it if they have to replace Adams…

7 Likes

algomeysa2, you need to get out into the woods. These things are all over the mountains. You really don’t want to be ‘hiker 1’ on the trail or, if you are, keep a stick up in front of your face. They are out in force late summer/early fall. Their webs are stupid strong.

4 Likes

All right, who let Chad the intern pitch his remake of the 1990 movie he saw last night on the Horror Channel? We don’t need Airachnophobia: Death from Above!

7 Likes

4 Likes

That or a gender reveal? It’s so hard to tell these days

6 Likes

Is ballooning really that uncommon among spiders? I thought there were lots that did that, at least when they are small.

9 Likes

Never thought I’d join Team Rat, but here we are… :woman_facepalming:t4:

Cat Love GIF

Game On Fighting GIF by Shalita Grant

10 Likes
3 Likes

If those spiders make it there, they can make it anywhere.

23 Likes

If Giant Venomous Flying Spiders was a band, what genre would it be?

2 Likes