Give your glasses a deep clean with this ultrasonic case

I always fondly remember getting my glasses cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner at the optometrist as a kid. They don’t seem to do that as an adult, at least not visibly. I had no idea it could damage the lenses.

I usually clean mine with 99% isopropyl alcohol. I fully understand that it might damage the lens coating over time. I need new glasses every year because my eyes are spiraling pools of ever-changing optical failure, and I’ve never had high-quality coated lenses get damaged that way.

on the other hand, the alcohol cuts grease like a scalpel. Just keep it off your hands or you’ll turn white and think something bad happened.

1 Like

The best way to destroy those coatings is acetone fumes.

1 Like

Years ago, I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses with a mirror coating. I wore them for a few days, and then cleaned them with windex, and wiped off all of it.

3 Likes

Seems to be a common technique - I use a tiny blob of dish soap, smear it over the front and back of the lenses, hold them under a gentle stream of hot water (~60°C) until they’re rinsed clean, shake off any excess water, and then let them air dry rather than wiping them.

(Of course some people seem to rarely (or never) clean their glasses at all; my girlfriend drives me mad peering through greasy smears. Admittedly she wears contacts most of the time and usually only wears glasses first thing in the morning or last thing at night, but it still boggles my mind.)

Isopropyl alcohol is the main ingredient in many hand sanitizers. No reason to keep it off your hands, unless you don’t want your hands desinfected …

I use “fancy” optometrists, and they all have ultrasonic cleaners. I go in about once every quarter when I’m appalled at the condition of my specs in the places I can’t reach with a cloth, or a tissue and and a toothpick.

C’mon BB step up your game.

I mean, you could be offering a service where trans immigrants fund charity projects for victims of police violence by artisanally cleaning (by hand) your glasses with only the softest alpaca down and soapberry extracts sourced from locally sustainable fair trade exchanges.

I for one, am disappointed (and not a bit m0ist).

Or you know, we could use lens cloth and a lens cleaning solution like most normal humans… Or one of the many other methods detailed above.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.