Gizmodo fires Spanish site editors and replaces site with broken AI translation of English one

Originally published at: Gizmodo fires Spanish site editors and replaces site with broken AI translation of English one | Boing Boing

3 Likes

…what it’s like to read english translated gibberish instructions for some gadget that came from China.

8 Likes

Here’s presuming/hoping this “broken AI” included specific training on hovercraft and their status of being full of eels.

(for every LLM there shall be a monoid in the category of hovercraft endofunctors containing eels)

13 Likes

Seguramente esto terminará bien

It’s not like there’s a lot of Spanish speakers in the world. :fu:

10 Likes

It would be very interesting to know the relative influence of overconfidence in the tool, belief that readers aren’t especially sensitive to quality; and the differing value of ad impressions against speakers of various languages.

4 Likes

Perhaps they will organise bots to read the articles and click on the adverts

2 Likes

Even if it was a good (or at least sufficient) translation, it still would just be a translation of Anglophone culture content, which is not exactly a replacement for a Spanish language site with its own content. (I mean, hell, Gizmodo sites like Kotaku has/had US, UK and Australian versions.) But since it is, instead, a sucky machine-translated site, there’s no reason for it to exist - people can go to the English version and get it machine translated themselves (with more control over the process). I can’t imagine they’ll get enough traffic to this new endeavor (once all the former users get wise to what’s happened) to make it worthwhile to keep it.

5 Likes

Due to the nuances of machine translation, there can be slight differences.

I wouldn’t call a machine translation “nuanced.”

5 Likes

As a translator, I love watching machine translation crash and burn.

10 Likes

yeah, that’s exactly what rob was talking about. this is the wire article he linked

3 Likes

gift link.

I doubt Garcia-Marquez would say the same of an AI.

6 Likes

Splinter is laughing (in Spanish) from the internet graveyard.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.