Glendale High School in Springfield, Missouri, punishes student who recorded teacher who wouldn't stop saying the N-word

Originally published at: Glendale High School in Springfield, Missouri, punishes student who recorded teacher who wouldn't stop saying the N-word | Boing Boing

4 Likes

FYI, the high school has a “text to tip” line for people to report bullying and threats. Perhaps people should alert the school to the fact that this student is being bullied for bearing witness to power?
https://www.sps.org/glendale

12 Likes

Also, looking at the current state of the school’s staff website, and its Wayback Machine version from earlier this year, there is one male math teacher who has been dropped from the rolls, named Kenneth Bowling.

UPDATE: This local news story outs the perpetrator as Kenneth Bowling:

6 Likes

They have to be aware, regardless of whatever minor phone policy they claim to be enforcing, of the appearance of retaliation.

7 Likes

That might be intentional.

7 Likes

I mean, when you use a policy that’s pretty clearly about anti-bullying to protect a teacher who’s clearly in the wrong, it might not be merely the appearance of retaliation.

12 Likes

Viable lawsuit.

10 Likes

The kind of personality that’s attracted to the position of disciplinarian school administrator is always going to side with the bullies. That the bully in this case is a teacher only made it easier.

7 Likes

I think this is the sort of thing the late John Lewis meant when he said, “Get in good trouble, necessary trouble, and redeem the soul of America.”

7 Likes

“might”?

For some reason, I doubt this was the first time.

bringing unwanted attention to the school district.
Hmmm…

4 Likes

Ah, the teacher was Just Asking Questions about why Black people are allowed to say “n—a” but white people are not allowed to say “n—er”.

The recording captures a minute of debate between the teacher and students about who can and should not use the word. The teacher can be heard saying he does not like the word. He then asks how it is not still a derogatory term, “when a Black person is using it towards another Black person.” After a student notes slave owners’ use of the term, the teacher says he recognizes that, but then says, “Is the word (N-word) not allowed to be said?” The recording shows him saying it once more after a student begins to suggest the teacher’s job is in jeopardy.

3 Likes

Deleted post because I was 100% incorrect.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.