Glenn Reynolds apologizes for saying drivers surrounded during street protest should "Run Them Down"

If you shoot a rabid racoon here in the city it goes before a grand jury even if you are a cop. Self defense and retaliation are two different and opposite things - one is often necessary and legal and the other is pathological and usually criminal (unless it’s within the legal system). People don’t get that because they themselves are vengeful and think revenge is somehow self defense…watching too much football or WWE maybe.

Kiss my ass Glenn. And that’s all I have to say about this. Just kiss my ass. Glenn

1 Like

Let’s both take a timeout, you have a head on your shoulders and I don’t want a flame war :smiley:

Let’s resume at a slightly later date.

3 Likes

It’s all in good fun. BTW, I know you are but what am I? (just a joke I hope you know). Have a good night. Thanks for sharing. I’m leaving too. I’ll check in tomorrow to look at the wreckage. nitie nite.

1 Like

You are a person, and that’s the most important thing :). (I might actually be a Dog on the internet)

4 Likes

Why does it have to be a big black man?

Why isn’t your example: it’s not cold, raining, or windy, and there’s no one else anywhere in sight, and yet some person is walking right behind you with their head down and any identifying features hidden by their hoodie.

Because the answer is of course you alter your path to figure out whether or not the person is a threat.

It has nothing to do with race, height, age, or even gender. It’s all about suspicious behavior.

But somehow your idea of a threatening situation requires a big black man.

10 Likes

I was gonna say… I’m also a 6’5" male who often takes walks late at night and seldom if ever makes eye contact, but I’m somehow less threatening than the guy in this example. Hmm. It might just be my skin tone.

5 Likes

yeah, but on the internet Big Data knows you’re a poodle-schnauzer mix with a Beggin’ Strips habit and a penchant for smelling collie butts.

4 Likes

They smell nice!!

9 Likes

Google this quote for the source:

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved”

1 Like

Cued at 1:03, Reginald Denny @ 2:12

For those unfamiliar with Hicks and currently wincing: listen to the second part of this bit. Hicks was a vehement anti-racist.

4 Likes

Psssh.

##I adore Bill Hicks.

RIP.

5 Likes

Hicks was an amazing, complex, hilarious person.

5 Likes

I only got hip to him right after he died; I was so bummed out.

4 Likes

Chris rock, Eddie Murphy, and to a certain extent Jim Jeffries and Louis have done wonders for normalizing how people talk to each other. Paved by carlin, Pryor, Whoopi (holy crap!!), and too many to list. Hicks was a suave, stoned, foul mouthed pioneer in his own right.

His fashion sense suffered though.

5 Likes

I recall him saying something like ‘Every time I look at this haircut I think ‘Fuck it, someone needs to die’.’

ETA: Found it!

Embedded video below cued to quote:

3 Likes

Self defense is a thing here too. But is has to be proportionate. Unlike Florida or other US states I’m not allowed to bash someone’s head in because he looks funny at me or shoot him when he’s already fleeing.

5 Likes

Why? How about provide a link to the source?

3 Likes

[quote=“timehof, post:60, topic:86091”]
is a direct result of the war on drugs.
[/quote]

Which has large been aimed at POC…

10 Likes