Glitch Dungeon

[Permalink]

1 Like

Awwww man, I was hoping for egg trees and bubble tuners.

2 Likes

Interesting, though (to me) the premise is slightly ruined by the fact that each room’s glitch is required for its solution, making them not glitches at all.

It would be interesting to see if the game could work with random glitches, user-controlled glitches, or even just being way glitchier such that you don’t know instantly how you’re going to solve the room.

Sounds a bit reminiscent of “Bugged”, a text adventure constructed around the premise of being riddled with bugs. (The first puzzle is to get out of a locked room, so you pick up the door and put it in your inventory…)
http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXgamesXalan.html

1 Like

Yea, I got the same feeling. I can remember a program from way WAY back, before the mouse even, that was supposed to output the most amazing unpredictable randomness… but it was extremely predictable, having only 4-5 kinds of awesome surprises. Software that really ran on glitches would just crash.

Here’s a nice glitch-centric horror game: http://gamejolt.com/games/other/i-see-you/13843/

Me and you both, friend. I still morn the loss of my beloved Glitch.

That sounds really neat. Pity I seem to have to teleport my Mac back to 1997 to be able to play it, though.

On the topic of text adventures, the most fracking brilliant one I played recently (or… at all, in the last 10 years) is Counterfeit Monkey, where you can change reality by manipulating words using (mostly illegal) high-tech devices such a letter-removing guns, homonym paddles, reversing mirrors and the like.

For example, suppose you needed to go down the highway, but have no vehicle. Fortunately, there is a chair near-by. Zap out the ‘i’ and you’re left with a fish flopping on the ground – a char. Zap out the ‘h’ and drive away in your brand-new car. (Assuming you have the keys, of course.)

Or need to remove a screw? Try ordering a vodka-orange juice drink from the local pub and using the homonym paddle.

It’s extremely well-thought-out, and takes place in a very deep and believable world. (Here’s a random review.)

[quote=“SamSam, post:8, topic:39495”]That sounds really neat. Pity I seem to have to teleport my Mac back to 1997 to be able to play it, though.[/quote]Oops. A quick Google suggests that there may indeed be no such thing as an Alan interpeter for OS X, but you can always run the DOS version under DOSBox for OS X. Or maybe Gargoyle will work.

[quote=“SamSam, post:8, topic:39495”]On the topic of text adventures, the most fracking brilliant one I played recently (or… at all, in the last 10 years) is Counterfeit Monkey, where you can change reality by manipulating words using (mostly illegal) high-tech devices such a letter-removing guns, homonym paddles, reversing mirrors and the like.[/quote]That also sounds nifty. Infocom made something vaguely along those lines too:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.