Glitch in the Afterlife

And that reason is?

NCSoftā€™s killing of City of Heroes, when it was still a money-making venture, is why I will never play Guild Wars 2 or any other game they make, ever. I canā€™t overstate the affection I had for that game.

1 Like

NCSoft always seemed to have buyers remorse about CoH. It never got traction in Korea (not grindy enough/too casual) and after that they just seemed to want to make it go away. A couple of years of severe developer neglect didnā€™t do it, and when Cryptic started picking up steam again they had to kill the game quick or face supporting something that they had no interest in for the long haul.

1 Like

Sighā€¦ this article made me start crying again, even though itā€™s been over a year since the Giants woke up!

One thing that was really special about Glitch was that it inspired many players to contribute their own creative ideasā€¦ there were so many fan-created stories, songs, art installations, events, etc. It wasnā€™t just about playing the game as it was presented to us, but rather to find new ways to have fun and interact with each other.

I used to love it when people came to visit my home street & towerā€¦

1 Like

i believe i have some cherished photos of miss portinariā€™s tower.

the thing about glitch is that it was less of a game than it was a world in which games got played. you could play the games that came standard or you could make up your own.

it was not so much a game as it was a world.

i lived in that world as surely as i live in this one.

iā€™ve played games, even games i loved. glitch was not like that. Ur was a place i lived and i am homesick for it.

2 Likes

Tiny Speckā€™s owners and creators have all of my admiration for what they have done. Like City of Heroes, they created a wonderful community and community was what the customers kept coming back for. Unlike NCSoft, the Tiny Speck folks understand that when you close a game that has built that kind of community, the players are not just going to move on to your latest ā€œflavor of the monthā€ and buy and play another of your games. You have destroyed their home, there is nothing left to compare to it, and they certainly are not going to trust you not to destroy their home a second, third, or fourth time. Tiny Speck has gifted you all with your home back again. Merry Xmas, Happy Holidays, Glorious Yule. I am so very, very happy for you.

1 Like

Because their file formats are the standard by virtue of how versatile and feature-packed the software that makes them are and also through buying any competitors who come up with something better.

Iā€™m not trying to tout their awesomeness, Iā€™m just stating fact.

1 Like

Cryptic wasnā€™t involved in the later years of the game. They left NCSoft, and the remaining CoH developers became Paragon Studios, and arguably did much better than when Jack Emmert was running CoH. And, again, CoH was self-supporting, even under a freemium business model. The only reason that NCSoft had for shutting it down was that it wasnā€™t making a lot of money, and they apparently donā€™t want to let the IP go because thatā€™s their standard business practice, even when people make offers to buy it. Itā€™s a ridiculous waste.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.