Glorious video of last night's rocket launch to the Moon!

Originally published at: Glorious video of last night's rocket launch to the Moon! | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Excellent!!! This pleases me!

Christina Ricci Smile GIF by Sundance Now

19 Likes

That rocket wouldn’t have flown without the input of my trans rocket engineer friend Amy and that pleases me greatly, she’s one of my heroes :hugs:

30 Likes

That makes it a million times even MORE awesome-sauce! Congrats to Amy on a successful launch!!!

Excited Season 7 GIF by The Office

20 Likes

Even better. Fuck yeah.

oh-yeah

16 Likes

Well that was freaking cool! Someday I hope I can witness a launch. The power of those rockets is literally awesome.

10 Likes

EC36DC67-6A3F-457E-AFF7-C8E4B496C7CD

11 Likes

I’m not going to lie. I got a bit teary eyed watching that thing take off.

10 Likes

I have waited so long to see us going back to the moon. Congrats to all the people who have put their hard work into the Artemis project and that glorious launch last night. A moon base in my lifetime would be wonderful.

Make it so!

10 Likes

Tim over at Everyday Astronaut had some amazing slow motion footage on his livestream:

The ‘live’ launch final countdown is at:

Slow motion from:

2 Likes

I spent the day yesterday (Tues) at the KSC Visitor Center. Great naked eye view of Artemis on the pad at the Saturn V Center. I took a 2 hour nap then headed to my favorite 8-story outdoor viewing site overlooking the Banana River (only about 8 others there!). Prefect clear view to Artemis on the pad with binoculars (although now 14 miles away). Waited through a 10min hold and finally was blown away at launch. Too bright to watch it through binos! Lit the river, sky, and ground up like just-before-dawn. The sparkler show that came out of the boosters after separation was so fkin beautiful! Never seen one like that! I’ve seen scores of launches as a local but my good friend got to witness his first launch ever so I fed off his giddiness. It’s tough to book a trip to FL for a launch but I would tell you to try someday!

4 Likes

I got more than a bit teary, myself - glad I was wearing waterproof mascara, lol

3 Likes

I was woefully uninformed that this was even happening so soon but luckily a streamer I follow was live commenting on the livestream of the event and so I caught the whole thing as it was happening. A moment to remembered. Fully looking forward to mission success and the eventual crewed mission to follow.

2 Likes

The overhead shot on the NASA feed seems to show the greater power of the SLS over Saturn V. It seems to leap just a little bit faster off of the pad in the first few seconds after liftoff.

This was at a really convenient time in eastern Australia, so the whole family got to watch a livestream of history.

When we got to the bit 2:56 when the instrument display appears, my 10-year-old boy, who has been playing a lot of Kerbal Space Program, let out a squee of joy. “I know what this means! I can read this!” Thank you, KSP, for making a kid so happy.

And we were already pretty emotional about it!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.