Rocket launch seen from the International Space Station

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/15/rocket-launch-seen-from-the-in.html

6 Likes

What level spell is Summon Rocket?

6 Likes

Too bad it wasn’t filmed in 3D. Can you imagine?

2 Likes

Thank you @beschizza

3 Likes

I was half-expecting the rocket to be overtaken and crushed by the Universal Pictures logotype.

35 Likes

Cutting and pasting from the information page linked on Youtube:
" Explanation: Have you ever seen a rocket launch – from space? A close inspection of the featured time-lapse video will reveal a rocket rising to Earth orbit as seen from the International Space Station (ISS). The Russian Soyuz-FG rocket was launched ten days ago from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, carrying a Progress MS-10 (also 71P) module to bring needed supplies to the ISS. Highlights in the 90-second video (condensing about 15-minutes) include city lights and clouds visible on the Earth on the lower left, blue and gold bands of atmospheric airglow running diagonally across the center, and distant stars on the upper right that set behind the Earth. A lower stage can be seen falling back to Earth as the robotic supply ship fires its thrusters and begins to close on the ISS, a space laboratory that is celebrating its 20th anniversary this month. Currently, three astronauts live aboard the Earth-orbiting ISS, and conduct, among more practical duties, numerous science experiments that expand human knowledge and enable future commercial industry in low Earth orbit."

4 Likes

How is it that I have never seen a photo of the earth that shows the atmosphere so beautifully? And wow the scale of the space-chemtrail (/s) is amazing, larger than some countries. It’s amazing there aren’t more collisions in space.

7 Likes

Watching this I literally got choked up. Humans are such a fascinating species, capable of such wonders, and also such horrors. This is the Tao, I suppose.

6 Likes

5 Likes

tenor%20(39)

Someday…

9 Likes

I’m watching a rocket launch from space right now!

3 Likes

“Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you would’ve hidden from it in terror.”
– The Emperor Ming the Merciless

7 Likes

That would be cool, but for stereo images you would need two cameras many kilometres apart.

2 Likes

This must never happen.

1 Like

I think this clip is very “enhanced.” I didn’t think it was real at all until I read words.

1 Like

LOL, that would have been hilarious. I could see that in a Mel Brooks or other spoof movie.

So I assume that “poof” at the end was like a 2nd stage separation?

Ahem… high-level.

[beat]

I’ll just see myself out.

3 Likes

This video fills me with wonder:

• The engineering marvel of it all!
  • The floral beauty of the second stage reaction mass trail!
  • The welcoming similarity of the ISS and orbiter orbits!
  • The gods-be-damned curvature of the Earth!
  • The rainbow filigree-intricacy of the city lights on the night side of the planet!
  • The cyborg newts newly emerged from the Tanhäuser gate and firing c-beams!
  • The delicate layers of atmosphere!
  • The J.J. Abrams-esque lens flare on the spent first stage as it plummets back into the atmosphere!
4 Likes

Mind you, no complaints from me; as far as I’m concerned, BB can post and re-post stuff like this on a daily basis.

10 Likes

I’m wondering if this wasn’t a SpaceX launch, because there was another burn (for reentry?) as something reentered the atmosphere.